Chapter 14: Mere Angel

"You should stay behind." Morana whispered softly to Adrienne.

The blonde girl nodded, spinning one of her boomerangs in her hand.

Morana took a deep breath and walked up to where Cathedral was watching them, an eyebrow upraised.

"Cathedral, you must stop this!" Morana's voice turned from soft and gentle to a hiss, her silver daggers glinting coldly in her hands.

"What do you know about pain and loss!" Cathedral screamed, her grip on her tridant tightening, "You've never lost anything!"

The moment the words left Cathedral's mouth, Morana's eyes flickered emerald green.

"Never. Lost. Anything?" Morana asked quietly.

And at the worst moment possible, memories of the past began filling her head.

Please! Morana of the past begged, dragging her drowning lover upwards, desperately trying to break to the surface of the Ocean.

Yet the Ocean's grip on her lover didn't loosen.

You're the one who spoke, Mira.

No! Let him live! I'll serve you for the rest of Eternity, just let him go!

Morana paused, feeling the Ocean's grip loosen.

He's a mere mortal, he isn't even a threat to you! Morana pushed.

The Ocean was silent for a moment before replying. Mira, if this is what you wish for, then I will let him go.

Her tone was filled with sadness. I don't know how to put this into words, but... mortals tend to forget what others have done for them.

Just let him go! Morana begged one last time.

May you not regret it when the day comes, Mira.

The Ocean had released her lover, and as long as the goddess Eternity existed, Morana would forever be a siren.

Morana remembered how painful it had felt when he had simply forgotten her and made off with someone else.

She also remembered how the Ocean had taken pity on her and had permitted her to lead a normal life until it was time to sing.

"Fine, this is how it's going to be then," Morana murmured, her silver daggers sheening emerald green as she lifted them ever so slightly.

Cathedral noticed the movement, and so did Adrienne.

"Morana, no!" Adrienne whispered from her place behind the ferns as she clutched her boomerangs even tighter.

"Cathedral, you are not the only one who has ever known pain and loss; you are not the only one who has ever been upset; you are not the only one who wants revenge!" Morana bit her lip, continuing, "You're not the only one who isn't happy with reality, but this is how it is!"

Cathedral's lips curled into a sneer, but before she could say anything, Morana continued.

"You may be powerful, but you are no goddess, and even my mother, the Angel of Darkness, the goddess Alcina could not change the course of the world. You may be powerful, but you aren't fighting for the right thing, you are alone, while I am not."

Morana took a deep breath, and played her last card, a card she had never played before.

"You may be powerful, but I have the power of the Ocean Herself behind me. I am truly eternal, yet you are not."