{25} Uncanny things ~ D

When Peculiar got to the gathering, she struggled to get through the crowd, her petite frame pushed forward vainly, unable to get to the front.

Lawrence and I approached the crowd and it took one student to notice us for the rest of them to give way. The sea of students parted, formimg walls on both sides for us to walk through. Peculiar went ahead of us, while me, Lawrence and Phoebe followed behind her, and soon we were at the front of the crowd.

It was almost seven now, and the sun had set completely. The streetlights, along with the blinking colourful lights of the sirens, illuminated the environment.

There were about five white, police vans and eight uniformed men standing in front of them, armed with guns. Among the staff members gathered at a spot, I found Principal Katherine, her face unreadable, as her eyes stared straight at the vans, with a sharp look in them.

I found Becky and Laura at the other end of the crowd. Becky had her eyes on me and Phoebe. Laura had a sober expression, the same way she had been the entire week. There was no jeering in her eyes, neither was she chewing any gum in the annoying manner she usually did. It was understandable that she was this way, since she did care for Kevin, more than she let on.

The students all around were murmuring, speaking in hushed tones, and their voices buzzed loudly in my ears.

"Clear the way!" An officer yelled from behind the crowd, and the students moved quickly, parting the way a second time.

The sound of rushing wind returned as Kevin emerged from the path. And while I had stopped seeing the energy of everyother person, Kevin's energy still hovered around him, moving about as wildly as I had first seen it. And the dark matter, had increased since the last time I saw him minutes ago, gaining ground against the white matter that still fought hard.

He was still in his Lion's jersey, but with handcuffs now, as two officers shoved him roughly forward, towards the vehicles, without him putting up a fight.

The murmuring increased among the students the closer they got to the vans, but when they got to the middle, Kevin stopped moving, standing still.

"Move!" One of the officers holding him yelled, and try as the both officers may to get him moving, Kevin remained rooted to the ground, his eyes scanning the crowd.

They landed on Peculiar, whose entire body was now trembling as she cried, and a small smile appeared on Kevin's lips as he watched her. He mouthed some words to her, and her tears intensified.

He looked at Phoebe and there was no mockery in his eyes this time. I however felt like he was communicating silently to her, a secret message traveling from his eyes to hers, and that pissed me off.

"He didn't do it!" Peculiar's teary voice broke out, and she ran forward to him, but an officer rushed to her, keeping her from reaching Kevin.

"Get back!" The officer said to Peculiar, pushing her back gently.

"Let her go!" Kevin shouted, going towards Peculiar, but the officers restraining him held him tighter. "Don't fucking touch her!!!" He screamed.

"Be quiet and move!" The officers holding Kevin said firmly, pushing him hard until they managed to move him . But even as he went, his eyes remain on Peculiar, who was now back at her spot, standing with the rest of the crowd again.

When they got to an open van, the officers pushed him hard into the vehicle, and his head bumped on the roof before his entire body got in. They entered after him, and soon the van was retreating, and as they drove away, Kevin's venomous eyes shifted from Peculiar to Becky, Lawrence and me, and he watched us through the window as they left. The dark matter around him growing at a rapid pace even as the bright matter dimmed away.