Chapter 1: Just What's Wrong?

The Rookie 9 sat in the classroom ready for the graduation test. A couple of seats were empty but one person was missing.

Naruto came into the room late smiling sheepishly.

"Yo, Naruto! Why so late?" Kiba hollered.

Naruto scratched the back of his head, "I had to talk to someone real quick." However, if someone looked closely they would see he was breathing hard.

He sat down on his seat near Shikamaru and Choji and gently laid his hair down.

Two ninjas made eye contact before nodding.

"Hey, Naruto, are you okay?" Choji asked while munching on chips.

"Yup. I'm just not ready for the test." He said laughing.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

"Alright, Naruto. Please demonstrate the clone jutsu." Iruka said kindly.

Naruto nodded tiredly and crossed his fingers, "Clone Jutsu!"

Next to him was a perfect clone grinning at his teachers.

"Congratulations! You graduate!" Iruka exclaimed happily while handing the blonde a Konoha forehead protector.

"Thanks."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

"The dead last actually passed?" Kiba snorted as he pet Akamaru.

"Not so dead last, huh?" Choji smirked.

"Is something wrong with him? He looks sick." Hinata said quietly.

A black haired ninja and a brown haired ninja looked up quickly and ran out of the room.

"What is going on?!" Sakura cried, "Sasuke just ran out of here!"

"Yeah. Shikamaru too." Kiba muttered.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Nobody questioned the two ninjas as they walked in looking royally ticked off and slightly worried. Whatever happened bothered the two deeply and even Sakura knew that it wouldn't be wise to press matters.

"Where's Naruto?" Kiba asked the two.

Shikamaru just jabbed his thumb behind him and, sure enough, the blonde came in smiling and laughing like he wasn't just a zombie off of the Walking Dead.

"I wonder what happened..." Hinata whispered as Iruka started naming off the teams and their sensei.

"...Team 7 is Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha," Sakura squealed happily which made everyone wince, "-And Naruto Uzumaki!"

"YATTA!" Naruto cheered. He stayed away from Sakura so he wasn't hit on the head.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Kakashi was starting to become suspicious. It's been a month since the real genin test (which you know how that goes) and Sasuke was beginning to act strange. He would often glance at Naruto and when he came near he would sit between him and Sakura as if protecting him.

Now, Naruto seemed to remind him of someone. He would randomly spout words of wisdom that made him sound like a friend he knew that disappeared.

The Rookie 9 sat together at a Barbecue restaurant. Again, Sasuke sat next to Naruto and Shikamaru immediately got up and sat on his other side. Naruto rolled his eyes but didn't complain.

Kakashi narrowed his eyes and studied the blonde. He subtly used his sharigan to get a better look.

"Naruto," he spoke up gaining the orange clad ninjas attention. "Why are you a clone?"

He tensed along with Shikamaru and Sasuke. The others just looked at them confused.

Naruto shrugged, "You should tell them. I'm sure they can help. Anyways, it's time I went." The clone poofed away.

The rest turned to the two ninja.

Shikamaru sighed, "What a drag."

Sasuke grunted, "Naruto is...not well."

"What do you mean, Sasuke-kun?" Sakura questioned.

"What he means is that Naruto has three seals placed on him." Shikamaru explained. When the jonins eyes widdened he held a hand up, "Not that one. The problem is that the seals were only made to last a certain amount of time. However, because the seal has stayed on without being removed periodically, the removal will be painful. At the moment, Naruto is resting at the Uchiha compound gaining his strength."

"What do the seals do?" Kiba wondered.

"Well, the first one is located here." Sasuke pointed at his right collar bone. "It was made to seal away his real personality. The second is on the left shoulder. This one seals 1/3rd of his intelligence."

"The last is just above his hip." Shikamaru pointed above his right hip. "This one seals his true look. The funny thing is- well, for us- is that 'Naruto', as you call him, hates the color orange. When he wakes up he won't be very happy with the Sandaime." He smirked.

"So, the Naruto we know is fake?" Ino asked standing abrubtly.

Sasuke just nodded and stood, "I should check on him."

"Hold on." Shino spoke, "Is it possible that we may meet Naruto? It is only logical that we get to know our comrade."

Shikamaru nodded, "Maybe tomorrow." He rubbed his head, "Troublesome."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

"They want to meet you." Sasuke spoke.

"Who?" A smooth voice asked.

"Team 8 and 10."

"...who?"

"The Rookie 9."

"Oh, okay. Sure. I should be well enough to see them. When are they coming over?"

"Tomorrow for lunch."

"Alright." The person smiled to himself revealing white teeth. He had slight fangs but it was almost unnoticeable.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Shikamaru stared lazily as the clouds drifted across the sky.

...

...

...

...

...

"What a drag."