Chapter 35: Look At the Bright Side

Kakashi and Yuki stumbled into their apartment, lips locked and hands scrambling at each others clothes. Yuki had somehow managed to slam the door closed even as his attention was focused entirely on the Hatake.

The silver-haired Jounin could feel his partner's steely blue eyes boring into him and, when he opened his own, he could see a range of emotions filtering through them at lightning fast speed. He loved how Yuki held him close, could feel the possessive nature hum through his body, and how he kissed him slow and passionately, like all that he wanted was in his grasp.

"You're so fucking beautiful," Yuki mumbled against the Hatake's lips, the silver-haired Jounin's mask in his hand. He held the other by his waist, pulling him flush against his body, "I love you."

"I-"

Before Kakashi could respond, he was jolted awake by his alarm clock. There was a crash in the kitchen, followed by some swear words, and the Hatake wanted to cry. A dream. It was all a damn dream.

"Kakashi?" Yuki was at his doorway, brushing his hair back with one hand while a cup of coffee was in the other. His eyebrows were creased together and his eyes roamed over the whole room, like something inside would find a way to satisfy his thoughts, "Are you okay? You seem sad..."

"I'm fine," Kakashi mumbled, sitting up. "I just need some coffee. I'll meet'cha in the kitchen in a little."

"Okay..." Yuki seemed hesitant before giving a curt nod and shutting the door softly.

He's not fine.

'I know, Kurama, but what am I supposed to do?'

You need to get your damn act together, Yukimoto. You're acting very idiotic for a human with your intelligence.

'I don't know what you mean,' Yuki could hear the lie and winced.

Sure. Whatever. You're so afraid to get hurt, Yukimoto, that you're hurting those around you without realizing it. What the villagers did to you, what I did to you, was terrible and I'm sorry. Look at the bright side though.

'What bright side? When has there ever been a bright side?'

If I haven't done what I did, you would have never gotten Kakashi in your life. You would just be a small, pitiful human wandering around with a fake-ass smile. I made you stronger, sure, but Kakashi gave you a life. You even told him so. So, get your fucking act together before I burn you from the inside out, killing myself be damned.

'Are you saying...'

You know damn well what I am saying, Yukimoto. Go. Don't make me repeat myself twice. Your angel is sad, I know you saw it, so what are you doing standing in the kitchen talking to a dead-beat demon?

'You're not a dead-beat demon but... Yeah, I hear you, Kurama.'

Really? Because, for the last nine years, it feels more like you've heard me but never listened. Go to him before I castrate you.

Yuki felt a grin spread out on his face and a small chuckle escaped his mouth, "Hai, hai."

"Talking with Kurama?" Kakashi was at the kitchen entrance, a small but strained smile on his face.

"Mm," Yuki nodded, pulling out a mug and pouring the other Jounin a coffee. "He was just yelling at me."

"Again? What'd you do this time?"

"Let's just say that I've been hearing him but not listening," The raven-blonde handed him the cup as he spoke.

"So, pretty much you've finally decided to listen to some of his advice instead of ignoring it?" The Hatake guessed, letting the warmth from the coffee cup seep through him.

"Yup," Yuki nodded once, grabbing a spatula and flipping it in his hand expertly. "I'm making scrambled eggs, french toast, sausage, and biscuits for breakfast."

Kakashi stopped in the action of drinking his coffee, eyebrow raising in surprise, "Really? What for?"

"Well," Yuki hummed, opening the fridge and retrieving a carton of eggs. "They're your favorite, right? Unless that changed in the last nine years."

"No, no," Kakashi shook his head frantically, nearly spilling his coffee. "I love your cooking."

Yuki's expression went blank for a moment, eyes drifting off to the side, before his mouth twitched in a small, yet beautiful, smile, "Okay. Be a dear and get me the biscuits from the fridge. I got fresh ones while you were still asleep."

"Hai, hai," Kakashi nodded, placing his cup down. It need to cool anyway.

"You can finish your coffee, you know," Yuki said without looking at him, back turned to the Jounin. That action alone made the silver-haired man's chest fill with warmth and love.

"No, I want to help."

This time, Yuki glanced at Kakashi in surprise. Maybe it was the lighting coming from the windows or just Kakashi's biased opinion, but Yuki looked beautiful. His eyes seemed brighter, the walls no one knew were up down only around him, and he seemed to always have that small smile on the corner of his lips whenever he saw the Jounin. His hair was a bit disheveled but his teeth were pearly white and he smelled like honey, lemons, and grapes, showing that the raven-blonde was just too lazy to brush his hair.

The cerulean eyes stared straight at him with a strange emotion and -Oh. Was it...

They were inches away and, well, it was now or never. In one quick move, Kakashi pulled down his mask and pecked Yuki's soft lips.

Yuki was frozen, eyes wide in obvious surprise, and Kakashi could only think, 'I fucked up.' "I'm sorr-"

The raven-blonde's hand shot backwards, turning off the stove, before he grabbed the Jounin's shirt, looking him in the eyes. "Do it again," He growled.