Chapter 20: We're Just Two People Gossiping

Yuki walked aimlessly through the village, a beer bottle clutched loosely in his hand. His eyes scanned the area, taking in all the people and places, the shops and sounds, laughter and cheers. There was a weird emotion in his eyes, like he was sad and happy at the same time, drinking in the sights like a man in a desert in search of water.

The raven-blonde took a sip from his bottle before placing the cool outside of it on his forehead, enjoying the small break from his thoughts. He said nothing as people looked at him; confusion, wonder, and awe playing in their eyes. They've never really seen him just walk in the village. Or, they have but not for a long time. Not since he disappeared years ago without a trace.

He kept walking, waving at some people who greeted him and smiling at others who offered him small gifts (why, he didn't know). Soon, he came to the center of the village. He could see Kurenai but, before he could turn around, she spotted him.

"Yuki-san!" She walked up to him, her genin following like ducklings, "How are you?"

"I'm... Good," He said slowly, like he was picking his words from a long list in his head. He smiled slightly at the genin when he they looked at him.

"Are you drunk?" She asked incredulously, looking at Yuki with a hint of disapproval.

"Absolutely not," Yuki shook his head, giving a cheeky grin. "Here, do me a favour and hold my beer while I take a piss." He handed her the bottle and left, hearing Kiba's laughter in the background and Kurenai's sputtering.

"Why does Kurenai look like a drowning cat?" Assume was suddenly by his side, cigarette hanging limply from his mouth. Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji were behind him, the Akimichi munching on some chips while Ino bickered with the Nara of the group.

"I have no idea," Yuki shrugged, raising an eyebrow in is woman's direction. "We just talked and I left."

"Huh, well, you must have said something to make her like that," Asuma said conversationally, handing the other ninja a cigarette while ignoring Ino's look of disapproval.

Yuki took it and placed it in his lips, leaning forward to light it when the Sarutobi held out his lighter, "I don't know what I said. We just had a nice conversation and she asked if I was drunk."

"But you don't even have alcohol on you," The jounin said, scanning the ninja.

"Oh, I did. Kurenai's holding it," Yuki shrugged and Asuma laughed, shaking his head.

"Want to walk with us?" Asuma asked, gesturing to his genin, who were talking quietly amongst each other. "We were just heading to the BBQ joint."

"Mm," Yuki tilted his head before nodding. "I don't see why not. I suppose I can join your team."

"Awesome. Where's Kakashi and the genin anyway?" The Sarutobi looked around for said people, not seeing them.

"Oh, Kakashi's with them at Training Ground 7. It's his turn to train Sakura and Sasuke. He left me with them during our last mission. He's also training Haku."

"Yeah, I heard you got him and Zabuza into the village. How'd you manage that?"

"Well, they're kind of like my mercenaries, I guess. Plus, Zabuza and Haku know I'm stronger than them so they know not to go against the village. Zabuza's in confinement right now until the council decides if he can join the village. I, of course, will be joining the discussion since I'm the one requesting he joins the village. I also have to make sure they don't abuse Haku's bloodline."

"That's a lot to do," Asuma commented, removing his cigarette to blow out a puff of smoke.

"Nothing I'm not used to," Yuki shrugged, walking forward with the team. "I used to work with Shikaku all the time?"