Chapter 18

The long hour drive to Boston depleted our energy. After having dinner, we went to bed early last night. There were three rooms in the house including the master bedroom. The men shared one room while I have my own. My muscles relaxed after taking a bath and immediately went off to sleep as soon as my head laid on the soft pillow with the mysterious man lingering in my mind.

I was still thinking about the man that was leering outside the house the moment I woke up. I wondered who he was or what he wanted. I just hope he isn't dangerous or a serial killer. Praying that man is not a serial killer because the police investigation in this time is not so advanced.

My rumbling stomach made me get up from my bed. It was a chilly morning so I put on a robe to keep myself warm. I quietly went down the stairs to make sure I won't be waking up anybody in the house who's still sleeping. I could hear voices coming from the kitchen along with the sound of clinking pans and plates. My insides warmed when I heard James' low soft chuckle. His laugh was becoming my favorite sound.

I know I shouldn't develop any feelings for James but the more I spend time with him and get to know him, my feelings grew. My heart skipped a few beats when his eyes land on me. I smile whenever he threw me one of his rare genuine smile whenever our eyes meet. The way he always opens the door for me and matches my pace when we walk together. He never disregards my feelings and would stop everything just to make sure I was okay. I appreciate him letting me rant while he sits there and listens to me like it was the most important discussion just like our drive yesterday. The way he compromises his lifestyle to make me feel comfortable. What girl wouldn't fall for a guy like that? He's like one of those fictional men from the books I've read.

The only difference is I will lock these feelings away. Him and I will never be for obvious reasons. Also, the guy is in a relationship with the most beautiful woman in Hollywood. So, what kind of man would want to let go of a woman like that?

"Do you have any tea, Dotty?" I heard James asked.

"On the right cupboard dear. Is that for Grace?" I could practically hear her smiling from her question.

"Yes, she drinks tea every morning."

"And you know what kind of tea she likes?"

"I saw her making it once. She likes it with milk and no sugar."

I smiled giddily at that. It's very sweet of him to remember how I make my tea and him making it for me, makes me like him even more.

"Hmmm..." was all she replied.

"Alright, Dotty. What is it?" James asked. I could picture his smirking handsome face. "You have that look of yours."

"What ever do you mean my dear? I do not have a look. What are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about. You always have this look like you just discovered gold."

"Well, it's not gold that I'm sure of. I could really use some of those to fix the barn. You know how much that'll be?"

"I can give you the money and stop being coy with me. That won't work."

"Well... you and Grace seem to be very close. Is there anything you want to tell me?"

"Other than what I've told you before, nothing really. She's a dear friend to me."

My heart sank a little from what he said. I shouldn't be sad being in the friend zone. But, there's a part of me that's hoping that maybe he liked me too. I might as well accept that friendship is the only thing we'll ever have. No use for hopeful wishing.

"Friend huh? Then, why do you look at her that way?" she inquired.

"Like what? How do I look at her?"