Chapter 5

"I'm in love!"

Taya had a dreamy look on her face and if she was a cartoon, there would be hearts in her eyes. The movie ended and girls coming out of the cinema were sighing dreamily including us except for Mr. Johnson. He was looking at us amusingly.

"Damn, he's hot!" Ken exclaimed. "I swear guys at those times are so suave especially James Ryder. Definitely, James Ryder! He tops everything! I can't believe I'm fantasizing a dead guy."

"I know right?!" Taya nodded. "Why can't guys today be that hot?! If there's a guy like that in school, I swear to god to go even if I'm dead sick."

"So, I take it you like the movie?" I giggled.

"Hell, yeah!" she shouted. "No wonder you like these movies. These men are standards."

"The Ryder Effect." Mr. Johnson pointed out and we nod our heads in agreement.

Ken suggested to have dinner from one of the food stands before going home. We agreed and I pointed out the burger stand. We took a table and I volunteered to order for all of us. Mr. Johnson
took out his wallet and paid for all our dinner. I went to the stand and was about to order when someone tapped on my shoulder. I raised my eyes and frowned when I saw Jackson.

"I knew you were gonna be here." he grinned. "You've always love old films. You also have that weird crush on that dead actor."

"I don't have a crush on him. I'm a fan of his work. There's a difference." I snipped.

"Okay, okay. Just making conversation. No need to be so catty." I raised his hands in mock surrender. He sighed when I don't laugh at his humor. "Can we please for once have a nice talk? We can do that, right?"

I scoffed and shook my head. "I can't believe you have the audacity to say that to me. After everything you did. Did you forget?"

"I know I fucked up, okay? You don't need to remind me but, come on! Can't we move on from that?"

"Yes, we can move on from it but it doesn't mean we're going to be buddies. You cheated on me Jackson! The whole freakin' time and you expect me to act like everything's fine. Well, it's not!"

"I'm not saying to act like it's fine! I'm just sayin—"

"And what would the lovely lady have?" he was cut off by the cook of the burger stand. He's a middle-aged man with graying copper hair. His eyes crinkled when he smiled; gray eyes glimmering in the night.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'll have—"

"Here you are, babe! What's taking you so long?" Tiffany looped her arm around Jackson's arm; eyeing me from head to toe. "Hey, Grace. Didn't know you were here."

Are you playing with me universe?  Have I done something to you? Are you punishing me or what?

"Hey, Tiffany." I reluctantly waved at her. "We watched the movie. I'm about to order dinner for us." I pointed our table.

"Didn't know you like to hang out with your grandparents."

"They're not my grandparents. That's Mr. & Mrs. Johnson, the owners of the bookshop, and there's nothing wrong hanging out with them. They're cool and fun."

"Sure, whatever you say." she snorted. "Anyway, we also watched it. Old movies are not really my thing. They're boring. The guy's hot though but still it was a yawn for me. What do you think?"

"Grace loves old films and the movie is one of her favorites." Jackson answered for me.

Tiffany narrowed her eyes and turned to me. "Hanging out with old people and watching old boring movies. It's so like you."