Chapter 20

Martin doesn't trust Harry. He said so himself after their conversation and he even made sure that Harry heard him but he will be civil for James' sake. That was good enough for the sperm donor. I'm just glad he's on our side. As far as I know, some agents saw their talents as a money maker but to him he cares about James' well-being. It's a good thing he became his agent.

The sperm donor left right after having lunch. James invited his father to Frank's funeral. We didn't like the idea but for James we kept quiet. Harry agreed to come and asked if it was alright to invite his family. James allowed him to bring them. I was mad at his father's request. He can't read the room.

Today is Frank's funeral. Dotty went on ahead to the church. Making sure there's no problem.

I was still mad from yesterday's events and I'm not looking forward seeing Harry again and meeting his family. The second family he created while abandoning the first one. I was quiet the whole car ride going to church. I held back my tongue to not ruin this day. It can wait after the funeral.

"Are you mad at me?" James asked. I shook my head as a response and he raised an eyebrow. "Really? Because you've been quiet since this morning and I could feel the heat from the brewing inside that pretty little head of yours. You know I have no problem speaking your mind, right? And we did promise each other to be honest and open. I'm keeping that promise. What about you?"

I halted and looked at him. I really want to wipe that arrogant smirk on his face right now. He knows how to trigger my conscience. Can't believe he formed that knowledge from a short period of time. It's a little scary that he knows me that much.

"Cheeky bastard." I mumbled angrily.

"What was that? Did I hear you cussing me?"

I rolled my eyes and kept walking. He walked beside me and kept his attention on me; waiting for me to talk. "I just find it insensitive that your father invited his family. He could at least planned it maybe I don't know after the funeral."

"He said they also want to pay their respects and they want to meet me too. I couldn't say no to that. They didn't do anything wrong to me, right?"

"I know I get you. I think it's just me not liking your father. Sorry."

"I understand, Grace. And thank you for supporting me on this. I just... want things to work out this time, you know."

"I do." I gently squeezed his hand; making him feel my comfort for him. "Just promise me if he does something, I have permission to kick his ass."

"Okay, it's still a shock for me that you're this violent. Are you always this violent?"

"Please, this is nothing. Compared to my best friend, my actions are still considered as nice."

"You're best friend?" he narrowed his eyes and trained his eyes ahead. "Your best friend is a girl right?"

"Yeah, her name is Taya. Why do you ask?" I questioned him.

"No reason. Just asking." he said nonchalantly. Not sure why he asked though but I just shrugged it off.

"Oh, but I do have other friends. Their names are Ken and Greg." He froze on the spot and that made me stop walking. "What's wrong?"

"You have friends who are guys?"

"Yeah, they're really nice too. I think you're going to like them if you get to meet them."

He frowned and grumbled something that sounded like 'I won't' but I'm not sure. James rubbed the back of his neck. "Have you ever been alone with one of them?"