Chapter 13

True to his words, he took me shopping the next day. James gave George a day off and told me he would be the one taking me. Martin couldn't come along because he wanted some time with his family. So, it was just us two. Since I don't have any other clothes, I wore the clothes I wore when I got here. It's a good thing George had it laundered.

James parked right in front of a women's department store. He turned off the engine and was about to get out but he gently gripped my elbow. "Just wait a minute." I stayed behind while he stepped out of the car. He came to my side and opened the door for me.

"You don't have to do that. I can open it by myself." I told him.

"Then, my mom would be kicking in her grave if I allow that to happen." he grinned. He repeated the chivalrous gesture once again when we entered the store.

I felt a small pang in my chest when he mentioned his mom. According to the autobiography, he was really close to his mom. He's a mama's boy. I didn't want him to notice anything so I just smiled. "Well, your mom raised you right."

A woman probably in her mid-twenties approached us. She was wearing a sky blue uniform, pointed black heels and a pearl necklace. Her short dark curls bounced in every step she took. "Welcome, Mr. Ryder! How can I help you?"

"Can you help her find something to wear?" he pointed his thumb at me. The woman scanned me from head to toe. Her eyebrow raised in question. "For what occasion sir?"

"Every day clothes, party dresses, shoes, jewelry... everything a woman needs," he said.

"Wait, hold on. Jewelry? Shoes? " I frowned at him. "I thought we're just getting clothes? I don't need those stuff."

"Well, you have those weird sneaker like shoes and you can't pair them with your new clothes. Hence, why we are getting shoes. The jewelry is a plus. Think of it as my gift to you."

"It's a little too much. I don't want you to spend so much on me."

"Like I said before, while you're under my roof better expect to be taken care off. So, you can keep on insisting saying no but you know very well I won't listen."

I could feel my face turning red like a tomato. I reluctantly nodded my head and he threw me a smirk. Someone cleared their throat which made us looked at their direction. The saleslady was smiling at us. "That's very gentlemanly of you, Mr. Ryder. Don't worry I'm here to help her to get everything she needs. Does she also need perfume?"

"Just get her things that you think every woman needs. And I mean everything. Oh, make sure she comes back wearing a new dress." he turned his gaze towards me. "I'll be here waiting for you."

"Come along. Let's get to work. You can call me Donna by the way." she pulled me away and went straight to the racks. I noticed the women in the store were openly scrutinizing me. Whispering and gossiping to one another. A few giggles here and there. "Don't mind the stares and whispers. They're only jealous."

"I'm Grace and thank you. I just don't like being the center of attention." I nervously wringed my fingers. She softly patted my shoulder comfortingly.

"That's what happens when you're with a star. A handsome star of which many women who are guilty to admit they fantasize about. But you seem to be not fazed by it?"

"We're pretty good friends," I said. Well, I like to think we are friends since he's doing all of this for me. I made a note to myself to confirm my assumption that James and I are friends.

"It's very generous of him to do this. You must be really close to each other. How did you two meet?" she commented.

"It's a long story." I lamely replied. I was hoping after saying that she won't ask further questions. Oh, how wrong I was.