Chapter 11

"What do you mean she's staying here, James? Surely she has somewhere place to go than here." She asked and had her hands on her hips. The actress glared as she assesses me. When the news articles say that she's one of Hollywood's sweethearts, I think they were high or drunk. There's no way this woman has any sweetness in her bones. More like bitterness and possibly thinking of ways on how to make me drop off the face of the earth.

"Until we can find her family, she will be living here." He stated firmly and poured more tea into his cup. Completely unbothered by his girlfriend's wrath.

"Are you serious right now, James?"

"Very."

I was feeling the tension in the air. I know she doesn't like the idea of a stranger staying in her boyfriend's home especially when that stranger is a girl. I kind of understand where she's standing as a girl. 

"As his maid." I blurted out. All eyes were on me. I swallowed my nervousness and continued on. "I'll be working as a maid here in exchange of Mr. Ryder letting me stay here. I mean I won't be staying here for free, you know. So, I can work here and not be too much of a burden. If you think about it, it's a win-win. I keep this house clean and my payment would... Sorry, I'm rambling."

"I don't remember discussing nor agreeing that." He said and placed his cup down. "You don't have to work for me. I don't mind you staying here."

"Thank you but I don't want to be a burden. I've already troubled you enough and doing a little work around the house is the least I can do for helping me. I can cook, clean and even do the laundry. I really don't mind working, please?"

He sighed and reluctantly nodded. "Alright, but if it gets too much you can stop..." he hold up a finger to stop me from interrupting him. "or ask George for help. Good?"

I smiled and nodded happily. "Yes! Thank you so much! I promise I'll do a good job!"

"Alright, then." He smirked and drank his tea. Someone cleared their throat and our eyes directed to the actress who looked unimpressed.

"By the way, Lucy," Martin interjected before she could say anything. "What are you doing here? Is there anything you need?"

"I'm here to congratulate James. I heard the movie is a success. We should celebrate!"

"And?" I added with a grin.

Her smile tightened. "And... what?"

"You know, the other thing."

"What other thing are you talking about? What else is there?"

I frowned slightly and felt disappointed. She should know this! The actress impatiently gesturing her hand indicating for me to say it. I sighed. "His birthday."

"It's not his birthday."

"How did you know?" Both of them said simultaneously. A faint smirk was present on his lips while I could feel her glare on my skin.

Well, I can't really tell them how I know or else they'll think I'm crazy... again. "I saw your gift card when we were in the living room. Oh, happy birthday!"

"Thank you, Grace." He smirked.

Lucinda Wright strode towards him. She leaned down and gently held his face. The actress placed her lips on his. She pulled away and gave him a dazzling smile. "Happy birthday, darling. Of course, I would never forget your birthday. Shame on me if I forget about it."

"Oh, yes. Shame on you indeed." Martin agreed sarcastically and gulped down his tea; ignoring her frown. "So, where do you have in mind?"

"We're going to eat at Chasen's. Mother organized everything." She said giddily. "Isn't it exciting?!"