Chapter 16

Tears rolling down my face as I stared out the car window. Blues playing in the background trying to lighten the heaviness we're feeling or at least what I'm feeling. The moment when Martin told me James is at the hospital, I started crying. I haven't stopped crying since we got into his car. George stayed silent in the back while Martin kept reassuring me he was fine. Police officers told us he almost got hit by a van when he swerved to avoid it and crashed into a tree. Fortunately, he only got scratches and nothing broken but it still didn't calm me down. I will fully relax once I see he's okay with my own eyes.

"Grace, calm down." Martin told me with his eyes still on the road. When he glanced at me, he froze in sudden fear.

I don't know how I look but I'm pretty sure I'm giving him my deadliest glare. One of the things I don't like the most is when guys tell me to calm down. I think I can speak for all women for this. Normally, during this time women kept quiet but right now I'm trying my best not to snap at Martin and give him a piece of my mind.

I looked at the rearview mirror and George was also scared which he turned his head away and kept his eyes at the window. Martin cleared his throat nervously. It would have laughed at the comical moment under different circumstances.

"Martin, you telling me to calm down isn't helping. Okay?" Once the words came out of my mouth, there's no stopping me now. "Nothing is calming about this. Nothing. James got into an accident. An accident, Martin! How do you expect me to calm down when he's in the freakin' hospital?! He almost got hit by a van for crying out loud! He was this close, Martin. This close on being a goner and— what? What are you guys looking at me like that?"

Both men stared at me with wide eyes. I think this is the first time they've seen and heard me being hysterical. I'm usually a calm person even in heated situations but in this circumstance I'm not so calm. They don't have any idea what's going to happen. I'm the only one who knows James' future. No one knows he's going to die in two months and I still have no idea how I'm going to save him. I still don't know what triggered him to his death. I'm the only one carrying this burden. So, I'm a little edgy right now.

"I know you worry, Grace." George said softly. "All of us are but the police told us that Mr. James is fine and no serious injuries. I say that's a blessing. I hope that ease your worries a bit. You've been so frazzled and it's not good for you too."

I nodded and turned my eyes back at the view outside my window. The window reflected Martin patted my shoulder comfortingly. My emotions were all over the place. Yes, James accident did give me a scare but that wasn't the only reason. James' accident reopened wounds. They haven't healed and I've been patching it up to cover the grief and pain. It's been a long time but it still felt like it just happened recently.

Martin hasn't even properly parked the car yet and I've already jumped out of the vehicle; running straight towards the hospital. I could her them calling but I ignored it and focused on finding James' room. I stopped abruptly in front of the reception area and the nurse behind the desk had her eyes wide opened. Condemnatory eyes pinned on me by my unladylike behavior. Their opinions are the least of my problems right now.

"James Ryder's room, please." I panted; taking in slow breaths to regain my normal breathing.

The nurse raised an eyebrow. "And who are you, Miss?"

"Grace Michaels. What room please?"

"And how are you two related?"

I know she's following hospital protocol but my anxiety and irritation weren't having it. "I'm his friend. Room, please." I mentally pat myself on the back for still staying polite in panic.

She cleared her throat while giving me her skeptic stare. "I'm sorry Ms. Michaels but I can't give you his room number."

"What?! Why not?" I said incredulously.