Chapter 12

James Ryder's POV

Soothing jazz music was playing in the background. The Champs were performing on the small stage provided by the restaurant's owner. Waiters serving food from table to table. I exclude myself from the people conversing in the booth. My mind and thoughts were filled by the pretty brunette back home.

Everything that happened today was odd. There were still a lot of unclear things about her. She was careful with her words and actions. It could be because we were strangers to her or maybe she's hiding something. In a whole, Grace Michaels is a true mystery.

Someone cleared their throat which halted my wandering thoughts. My eyes landed on my three companions. Lucy sparing me a disapproving look which I just shrugged it off. She'll get over it eventually.

"James, were you listening?" Judy, Lucy's mother, asked me. I nodded at her and she raised an eyebrow. "And what exactly did I say?"

"The chili's divine and you also invited Tony for dinner. To talk about me and Lucy working in a film again." I smirked. She's a very predictable woman and it's the only thing she mostly talk about anyways. Martin giving me a subtle smirk; I was right. Judy pursed her lips and continued on.

I know she dislikes me or hate would be a better term. But her daughter being linked with me will boost her popularity in the industry. So, she doesn't have a choice but to tolerate me.

I drank the remaining whiskey in my glass in one go. Raising my glass, a waiter approached me and took the glass to refill it. Martin's eyes were on me and shook his head. I planned getting drunk. My mind went back to her and something stirred inside of me. The thought of Grace seeing me drunk when I get home doesn't sit well with me. My plan on getting drunk doesn't sound appealing anymore.

Fuck! Why do I care what she thinks? I sighed heavily and took another cigarette. By the time the waiter came back with my drink, I glide it on the wooden table towards Martin.

"What's this?" he grasped the glass and raised an eyebrow.

"It's whiskey." I deadpanned.

"Yes, I know this is whiskey but why did you give it to me? This is your drink."

"I'm done for the night."

"You? You're done drinking for the night?" Judy scoffed. "Pigs must be flying then. Never imagined to see the day where you stopped drinking."

"I'm shock too, Mother. He even drank my tea today!" Lucy joined the conversation.

"Something wrong, James? Did the alcohol finally got to your brain? You feeling sick?"

"As much as you want that to happen Judy, no I am not. I just don't want to drink more, that's all. It's not something to fuss about," I said to her.

Lucy's eyes narrowed. "Is it because of that Grace?"

"Who's this Grace?" Judy demanded. " Are you seeing some skank other than my Lucy, James?"

My blood was boiling and I clenched my jaw. I didn't like Judy calling Grace a bitch. I may not know her quite well but I'm positive she isn't a bad person. Judy on the other hand though...

"And he even let a strange girl live in his home. Can you believe it, Mother?!"

Judy gasped dramatically. Martin and I just rolled our eyes. I think being her daughter's agent wasn't the right calling for her. She should be an actress instead. Judy shows promise. "James! I couldn't believe you would do that!"

"Even I surprise myself. I didn't know I have the capability to help others. Who knew that I have kindness within me." I goaded. Martin hid his smile when he took a sip of his whiskey. He's clearly enjoying this. One of the things Martin and I have in common, we both dislike Judy.