Chapter 10

After my monologue, he didn't say anything. He just sat there; staring at me. I waited patiently for him to say anything. My nerves prickling with anxiety. Hoping he would somehow believe me. No matter how outrageous I sound.

James Ryder clenched his jaw and sighed. "I'm going to check if Doc is still around. It is clear you're still not well in the head."

"See! I'm right you don't believe me! And you're even judging me." I pointed a finger at him in accusation.

"Of course, I don't believe it! You expect me to believe that bullshit?! That you're from the future and time traveled into my time and you magically appeared in my swimming pool? Don't be ridiculous!"

"I'm telling the truth!" 

"Again, I say bullshit! I'm not an idiot! Quit lying!"

I crossed my arms and glared at him. Well, I'd be fooling myself if he actually believed me. Time traveling does sound absurd in the ears even I wouldn't believe if someone told me. I sighed and reluctantly said something more believable instead of insisting it. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm still shook up after what happened and can't think straight."

"Shook up?" He furrowed his eyebrows; confused.

"You know, still scared from what happened." I explained. He nodded understandingly.

"Interesting word."

Oh, yeah. He doesn't know the slangs I know. Note to self lay low with the slangs.

"And you living in Safe Haven, is that true?"

"Yes, that's true."

"How the hell did you get from New York to California?"

"I drove here...?"

"Are you asking or stating it? You know what, forget it. Where's your car then?"

"I don't know. Can't remember anything." I mumbled but he heard me.

He sighed and palmed his face. "Are you sure your family is not there?"

"I'm sure. If you don't believe me, you can confirm that." He narrowed his eyes at me. I mentally sighed in relief when Martin came back. 

"Doc left so—" he stopped midsentence and he saw him gazing at me. "Jim cut it out. You're scaring the poor girl."

He rolled his eyes and raised his hands in surrender. "You go talk to her. She's giving me a headache and I need a drink."

I then remember he has a drinking problem. I don't really want him to drink. An idea came into my mind and I hope it will work and I don't sound pushy. "Umm..."

What a good start, Grace. I internally scoffed to myself.

"You need something, dear?" Martin asked kindly while James Ryder raised an eyebrow.

"Is it okay for me to ask a cup of tea? It helps me calm down and relax. If that's okay with you." I requested.

"Oh! Of course! It's a good thing too because I asked George to make you one."

"... And if it's not too much trouble maybe all of you would join me? I just... don't want to feel alone right now. After what happened to me..."

I trailed off and hoped they grasped what I'm saying. Martin was surprised at first then his eyes softened. "Alright, the four of us can have tea together."

"Four?" James Ryder spoke and pointed at himself. "Including me?"

"Who else? Do you see anybody here that can take your place?"