Chapter 11: Such a Terrible Father

"You're so loud," Ricky covered his ears.

"Explain it properly," Y/N demanded.

"Honestly, I don't have time to look for apartment specially the semester already started. You also said it will be difficult to find one during this time. My work is a bit far away from here, more than an hour by car. I don't have the luxury of time to be going back and forth a lot. Don't worry I won't be always here. Only if I don't have schedule at work or class, that's the only time I'll be staying here. You said there's another room. I can use that. You continue to use the master's bedroom. We'll split up the rent. I think we need to draft another contract as housemates," Ricky explained thoroughly.

"Housemates?" Y/N repeated.

"Yes. Housemates. Also, it will be easier for you to tutor me for lessons. We can avoid the public's attention this way," he added.

There was a moment of silence. Y/N was thinking deeply. Ricky observed Y/N's expression.

"I'll provide the grocery," Ricky offered.

"Call!" hearing the word grocery Y/N suddenly shouted.

"Woah that's so loud!" Ricky was surprised.

"Consider it a done deal, Shen Quanrui!" Y/N put her thumbs up.

After breakfast, Ricky offered to wash the dishes since Y/N were the one who prepared the breakfast.

"Do you even know how to wash the dishes?" Y/N asked him.

"What do you think of me? Of course, I do chores too at the dorm," Ricky put the plates on the sink.

Ricky put washing gloves on and start to rinse the plates. He got a sponge with soap on. Y/N observed that Ricky was not wearing an apron.

"Why aren't you wearing an apron? Your clothes will be soaked," Y/N told Ricky as she got the apron from the countertop.

Y/N nonchalantly put the apron's neck piece on his neck. Y/N got a close glimpse of Ricky's bare face. Smooth and fair skin, expressive eyes, straight eye brows, pointed nose and plump lips. Her eyes focused on his. They stared at each other's eyes as if time suddenly stopped. Then suddenly Y/N's phone rang.

They ended the staring contest and Y/N immediately tied the waist band of the apron around Ricky. "Done! I'm just gonna answer this call." She got her phone from the table and froze on her spot when she saw the caller ID. It's her Papa.

Ricky noticed that she's not moving at all and her phone continuous to ring.

"Hey, I thought you''ll answer it," Ricky wave his hand in front of her face.

Then he saw the caller ID, "It's your pa, you should answer it."

Y/N was nervous and scared but she followed Ricky's advice.

"Wéi (/Hello) Papa," she was surprised to receive a call from him. Her hand kept on shaking. If her Ma is scary her Pa is twice scarier and stricter.

"You didn't even call back! You're really stubborn and cold hearted! Are you even our daughter?! Listen to me and your ma! You're our only daughter and we want the best for you. Xiao Lu likes you a lot. He will take care of you very well. Go back to Shanghai now and have your marriage registered!" the voice on the other line echoed to the dining room. Y/N accidentally pressed the speaker button.

"Pa, Duìbùqǐ (对不起/ I'm sorry) but I won't go back! You can say what you want to say and cut me off from the family. I will stay here," Y/N said loudly.

"You damn child! Ungrateful daughter! Selfish Brat!" Y/N's father cursed her.

Ricky heard it and he bit his lower lips. Such a terrible father, he thought.

"Don't test me. Even if I need to go there myself and drag you back to Shanghai, I-ll," her father's voice was cut off. Y/N pressed the end call button and turned off her phone.

"Duìbùqǐ (对不起/ I'm sorry) that you need to hear all of that," Y/N suddenly collapsed on her knees.

"Hey are you okay?!" Ricky knelt down on his knees and leaned closer to her.

"I'm not okay," Y/N tears fell down from her eyes to the kitchen floor. "You heard everything. That's how my family is. They don't care about me and they just think about the company. They want me to marry someone I don't even like so they can expand their business. I'm sorry that you need to know these things." She apologized as her tears continuous to fall down.

Ricky did not know what to do. He's not good at comforting others. He can be a good listener but on times like this, he does not know what to say. But it pains him to see how miserable looking Y/N was.

"I'm not good at comforting others. All I can say is that these things do not bother me at all. So, don't worry. Excuse me," She lifted Y/N from the floor and walked towards the couch in the living area.

"I'm an outsider so I can't really meddle with your affairs. But you can treat me as a friend who you can vent your anger to," he put Y/N down to the couch.

"Don't think you're always alone. Especially now, you gonna have a super handsome and hot housemate!" Ricky point his finger to his face.

Y/N laughed, "who said you're super handsome and hot?"

"Now you're laughing at me. Well, that's better than your crying face. Am I not super handsome and hot?" Ricky asked flashing his pouty lips.

"Just a little bit handsome," Y/N teased.