Chapter 12: A New Threat

Kolard sat on a branch high in the canopy, staring down at the tiny clearing below him, where his squad of Saiyan forces was laughing and celebrating their victory. It wasn't like he could really join in the festivities because while most other Saiyans enjoyed fighting, food, and drink (and sex), not all of them ate and drank the way Kolard did. But it didn't seem to bother any of them too much since they were still happy to have won.

He leaned back against the tree trunk with an aggravated sigh and closed his eyes. He knew exactly why he'd come up here - but that didn't make him feel any better about it. If anything, he felt even more frustrated. The mission had been simple - infiltrate the last few Frieza forces camped out along the northern borders of their territory and eliminate all those that remained. It would've been easy enough for Kolard. His powers were just as powerful as the others', he could easily crush each individual warrior, so there should've been no reason to waste time fighting the whole bunch instead of one or two at best. But that wasn't the problem.

Kolard hasn't found a good challenge from any fighter since his fight with Cooler two years ago. Not once. He couldn't stand it but he didn't voice his feelings. Right hand was raised up to the side of his head, he tapped his Scouter. No messages either, nothing to read about a new battle happening, no new information on the enemy or any updates from Bardock's end, only empty static. He let his arm drop back down and stared off into the distance again, distracting himself with thoughts of his childhood with Planet Vegeta as his home.

His father was tan by skin and his mother was pale. He inherited his father's skin but he carried his mother's heart and her determination. He grew strong through her training and dedication and now his strength lay solely in winning fights. As a child, he was a quick learner and soon became proficient enough to take care of himself, not having any problems surviving alone or effortlessly defeating weaker opponents in a fair fight.

Both of his parents raised him to be a proud Saiyan warrior. Fighting was in Kolard's blood. He didn't care about the low or high ranks of fighters. He carried his determination through every battle of his life; it was how he survived and thrived through the harshest circumstances and most difficult battles of his youth until he reached adulthood. He knew his placement through the battlefield made him a valuable fighter for the Saiyans, he knew it made him dangerous for his enemies as well, but he didn't care. And, if you asked him later, he still wouldn't care.

Because of his achievements through his victories, he earned his rightful place as the second strongest Saiyan warrior among the elites. Even though some other Saiyan warriors fought alongside him, most of them didn't hold the same position that he held - as an elite warrior first and foremost and as a bodyguard after that. For the longest time, he considered himself a natural born warrior first, a natural born fighter second and finally an honorable warrior.

He narrowed his eyes and looked up at the sky. It's a shame that his parents are no longer among the living. Their deaths happened shortly after he turned eighteen and before he could begin his own career - but that was what had happened. Kolard didn't allow their deaths to influence or affect his life. The people needed him and his abilities, especially now that the war with Frieza had ended, so he accepted their death as something unavoidable. But he can feel content knowing they died as true warriors and without regrets, with smiles on their faces.

So yes, Kolard was a naturally gifted warrior but a natural born Saiyan second. Just as King Vegeta needed him, so did it need his power and his loyalty.

Kolard reached his hand up and scratched his head. Though he wasn't the type to voice his opinions, he believed King Vegeta made a grave error by permitting Nappa to be Prince Vegeta's caretaker. Kolard knew how to be tactical when the situation demanded, cunning when there was no time for that sort of thing, ruthless when necessary and always ready to fight to the bitter end. If he was given the position instead of him he may be of great use to the Prince's squad in future battles.