Away From Rivendell

I awoke early, as usual, and prepared for the journey. I packed some Waybread and other travelling necessities. I put on a red tunic over a white undershirt and some comfortable boots. My belt had three knives tucked away: two for combat, and one backup. They had elvish engravings on them, and were gold rimmed silver.

~ imagine something like this, but probably a little more practical, lol ~

Just as I was about to leave my room, a knock came to the door. I opened it to see a certain Elf. His hair was golden and two small braids fell from his shoulders. The bow that he had pledged his allegiance to the Hobbit rested behind him, secured around his body, and a quiver that held many feathered arrows. His eyes were serious, but seemed to soften at the sight of me.

"Morning, Saphie," He said, "Are you ready?"

"Yes," I smiled. "Let's go."

We walked down to the gates of the citadel, where the rest of the fellowship was. Elrond was also there.

"Saphie," Elrond said to me quietly, "Remember what I told you."

I nodded at this, and went to stand with Legolas.

"The ring bearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom." He announced, looking over the fellowship of the ring. "And you who travel with him no oath nor bound is laid to go further than you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of Elves, Men and free folk go with you."

Legolas and I bowed our heads to Lord Elrond, and Gandalf spoke.

"The fellowship awaits the ring bearer," The wizard said, all eyes looking at Frodo, who turned to face the group of honourable creatures.

The little hobbit led the way, walking through the group and into the woods that surrounded Rivendell. Gandalf walked behind him, and the rest of us followed.

Elves had incredible hearing, so Legolas and I heard when Frodo whispered, "Hold on, Gandalf, is it left or right?"

"Left." He replied quietly.

We looked at each other and suppressed the laughs. The incompetence of the hobbits so far was both comedic and adorable.

The journey led us out of the forest and into green lands. They were beautiful, and after hours of walking, we set up camp nearby a series of large boulders, sunken into the earth. The grass was soft to sit on, and the night was upon us.

I lay awake, unable to sleep. I stared at the stars, thinking about how my people in Rivendell were staring at the same stars, that we were together. I supposed this was what being homesick was like. I wanted to be back in my room, or following Elrond around, ensuring his safety. But now, he wanted me to keep someone else safe: myself. That wouldn't be a problem. I was sixteen hundred years old, I could take care of myself and help the fellowship as well.