The White Wizard

I scrunched up my nose as Gimli dipped his finger in some dark, mysterious liquid, and put the finger in his mouth. He spat.

"Orc blood." He said. We quickly began searching for any other signs of our Hobbits around the forest.

It was a damp, eerie place that had obviously been avoided for many years by any creatures passing by. The trees were massive and mossy, twisting and turning in all different directions. Their branches were like many arms, pointing to different paths of natural overgrowth in this forest.

Aragorn knelt down. "These are strange tracks." He pointed out.

Legolas looked around, up at the trees and down at the ground, with a thoughtful expression. "This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory, and anger." He became more worried at the end of his sentence.

As Legolas slowly said this, a cranking sound, like one of a building in a strong gust of wind, began. We all looked around so as to see where the creaking noise was coming from. As it got louder, Gimli got out his battle axe, ready for an attack from any angle.

"Gimli," Aragorn said to the Dwarf. "lower your axe."

"They have feelings, my friend." Legolas explained. "The Elves began it," He looked at me. "Waking up the trees, and teaching them how to speak."

"Talking trees." Gimli scoffed. "What would trees have to talk about?"

Legolas walked around before running to stand on a tree stump, looking out at the forest.

"Aragorn," He said, then switching his language to Sindarin. "Something's out there."

"What do you see?" The man asked.

I watched Legolas' unsure, yet fearful eyes as he spoke. "The white wizard approaches."

Saruman? He was the white wizard. Why would he be here, in this strange, forsaken forest of talking trees?

"Do not let him speak." Aragorn warned, especially looking at me. "He will put a spell on us."

We all grasped our weapons fast, preparing for what was to come; a fight. I got out my knives silently but swiftly, and Legolas looked at me, nodding once. I returned the gesture, and then turned to Aragorn.

"We must be quick." He breathed, barely speaking at all.

And then we all turned around at the sudden white light standing before us, and attacked from afar. Gimli threw his axe, but it was shattered to pieces as soon as it got close to the light. Legolas shot an arrow at the entity, but it was captured by a wizard's staff and cast away like dust. Aragorn suddenly dropped his sword, which was red and hot - wizard's magic.

Their tactics weren't working, so I tried my own. I ran at the light and slashed what I could with my knives, but I was knocked away by the staff again, down to the ground. It was hard to see anything what with that bright light shining into my eyes.

Legolas helped me up and wrapped his arm around my waist. We all stood there for a second.

"Why isn't he attacking back?" I asked quietly.

Legolas shook his head. "I don't know."

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." The wizard said, his voice sounding familiar.

"Where are they?" Aragorn asked. I got my knives out.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday." He said, the bright light still in place, covering his face. "They met someone they did not expect. Does this comfort you?"

"Who are you?" The man asked. "Show yourself!"

The wizard hesitated, but stepped forward, and out of the light. He had kind eyes and a familiar beard, only now it was white instead of gray. He was the wizard we had lost along the way of our journey, only he had no hat. Gandalf.

"Gandalf?" Aragorn asked. "You fell."

We all looked upon the wizard for an explanation.

"Through fire, and water." He said. "From the lowest dungeon, to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as the life-age of the earth. But it was not the end, I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."

"Gandalf." Aragorn simply said, walking closer to our wizard.

"I am Gandalf the White, and I come to you at the turn of the tide." He explained with a comforting smile on his face.

He started leading us through the forest, speaking as we all walked quickly to catch up with him.

"One stage of your journey is over. Another begins." The wizard said. "We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?" Gimli questioned. "That is no short distance."

"We hear of trouble in Rohan." Aragorn spoke to Gandalf. "It goes ill with the king."

"Yes and it will not be easily cured." Gandalf said.

"Then, we have run all this way for nothing." The Dwarf gave his opinion again.

Our travels took days, on horseback thanks to Gandalf calling his loyal steed and our two horses back as well. It was only on a cold night when our fire was burning, that I realised that Gandalf the White would probably know a thing or two about what Galadriel had said to me that night in Lothlorien.

When he strayed away from our base camp, I followed him.

"Gandalf." He turned to look at me as I spoke. "I seek your knowledge and aid."

"In regards of what, my dear?"

"In Lothlorien, Galadriel spoke to me. She said that she had to warn me that my existence is not what it seems. And then she said that the ring and I were more connected than I think." I said, explaining slowly, still coming to terms with her words as I repeated them.

Gandalf looked off, fearful, into the night sky as he spoke. "I fear I understand what she meant. Did she say anything else." He looked at me when my answer was hesitant.

"She said... She said that Legolas was a threat to that connection that couldn't be destroyed nor sufficient." Recalling her saying this, I realised that she was implying that I would stay away from the Elf. I hadn't even considered it, because I was deeply in love with him, and I wouldn't want to stay away from him.

"Hmm." He thought. "This is much more complicated than you think, child."

"I just want the truth. Surely that cannot be harmful."

"But it can." He said ominously, staring blankly into space. "All you can know for now is that as Mordor gets closer, something inside of you burns brighter... a relationship that you hold for the fiery mountain and the ring."

"What does that mean, though?" I asked, getting impatient. "I still have no idea what it is that you're implying."

He looked me deep in the eyes as he spoke. "You are no Elf, Saphie."

That night I didn't sleep well at all. If I was no Elf, then why could I live for so long? Why did I have enhanced abilities like Legolas? And why didn't Legolas sense that I was not of his kind?

As I stared at the stars, they did not answer my thoughtful questions, only pitying me from their great heights. I rested in small amounts that night.

~ end ~