Blessings of Lothlorien

We reached a forest of immense beauty. The trees were incredibly tall, with birch-like trunks and orange, autumn-like leaves.

Now that Gandalf wasn't there, Aragorn, Legolas and I led the way through the forest. Well, I mostly followed Legolas.

"Stay close, young Hobbits," Gimli said. "They say a sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell, and are never seen again." He warned.

I looked at Legolas, who eyed Gimli with doubtful eyes.

"Well, here's one Dwarf who won't ensnare so easily." He continued, looking at the Hobbits as he walked. "I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox."

Just as he said this, all went silent. I turned to see countless Elves pointing their loaded bows at the Hobbits and Dwarf. When I turned again, I saw that we were all surrounded. Legolas held his bow out at the threat.

"The Dwarf breathes so loud," An older, male Elf said to us. "We could have shot him in the dark."

Gimli flared his nostrils at this.

The Elves walked us into their city of light. These people were one with the trees, their homes threaded into the canopies above, blue light seeping through the leaves and branches.

The Elf who had greeted us with his remark of Gimli was Haldir.

"Welcome, Legolas, son of Thranduil." He spoke in Elvish once we were taken to one of the spaces in the treetops.

Legolas nodded in respect, and Haldir turned to me.

"I don't believe we have met." 

"I am Saphie, royal guard of Rivendell." I replied in Elvish - it was nice to speak to an Elf in my native tongue.

"It's a pleasure." He held out his hand, and I gave him mine. He kissed it softly.

Legolas gave him a deadly stare before speaking.

"Our fellowship stands in your debt." He said.

Haldir turned to the rest of our party, and laid his eyes on Aragorn.

"Aragorn, of the Dunedain." He pondered. "You are known to us."

Aragorn nodded at this, grateful.

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves." Gimli spoke, irritated. "Speak words we can all understand!"

Haldir turned to the Dwarf. "We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the dark days."

"And you know what this Dwarf says to that?" Oh no. "I spit on your grave." He said foully in the common tongue of the Dwarves.

Aragorn firmly placed his hand on the Dwarves shoulder, looking down at him. "That was not so courteous."

Haldir walked past the Man and the Dwarf, to meet eyes with Frodo.

"You bring great evil with you." The Elf's tone was grave and unforgiving. "You can go no further."

The rest of us stepped aside as Aragorn spoke with Haldir, trying to change his mind.

I stood next to Legolas, who leaned against a tree branch. His arms were crossed and he eyed Haldir furiously.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looked at Haldir and back to him.

"Who does he think he is, kissing your hand like that?"

"He was being polite." I placed a hand on my hip. "And what's the big idea? You did it when we first met, as well."

"Yes, well," His eyes moved from me to the trees in the distance. "It's different."