Lost and Found (Fubumio)

"Hey Mio, what do you think of..." I trailed off as I noticed that Mio wasn't paying attention, instead she was staring off into the distance which had me followed the direction of her gaze. I could see a huge rock, alone out in the open of the wide vast of oceans which waves could be heard splashing as we were standing on the shore in our winter uniform leaning on the railings that separates us from the cold sea water.

As I turn back to see her face, I was met with a solemn expression, one of which I haven't seen in a while... And one of which I hate the most.

"Mio?" My voice was small compared to the waves of the cold winter air, trying to get my best friend's attention; gently tucking her sleeve making her turn her head at me slightly with a change of expression to a rather curious one.

"Are you okay?"

The moment those words left my lips, I could see the split pained expression on her face back before she brushes it off with those fake smile I have never taken a liking to. Even though they're fake, they never cease to make my heart felt thousands of emotions at once. Happy, sad, disappointed, curious... Worried.

Shaking her head she took my arms closer as she rest her head on my shoulder, "I'm okay, Fubu chan.." she lied.

She's not okay, I know she's not okay. Is it because of me? No, why would it? I haven't done anything wrong. Then what is it? Should I force her to tell me? Then again what kind of best friend would I be if I have to force her to open up to me?

I sigh before patting her head and play with her hair afterwards.

"I'm sorry... I promise I'll tell you." She then continued before looking up at me from my shoulder. I tilt my head before giving her a reassuring smile, "You don't have to Mio. But whatever it is that's bothering you, just remember I'll always be here.. alright?"

She smiles at me. There was something off putting about her smile, if only I had known that that would be the last time I'd ever get to see her again, I wouldn't have said my goodbyes after walking her back home.

But she promised.

She'll come back, I know she will...

Maybe.. maybe she's just lost right now.

5 years later.

I left my hometown to continue my studies in a university at Tokyo that specialized art courses. I knew that when I left, there's no way I'd go back to the place where my most pained memories would haunt me in my sleep.

No one knew what happened to her nor her family, they just disappeared.

But that's enough of that, Mio is the past, I need to focus on my assignments.

"Fubu chan!" The door to my dormitory swing open revealing the only two friends I made during my times studying here, Suisei who's majoring music and Miko, who's majoring in culinary specifically pastries.

"Mikochi, you're going to wake up the entire block..." Suisei hushes her as she gently slap the pink head girl on her back, making the latter smile sheepishly at her girlfriend.

"Sorry, Suichan"

"Don't apologise to me, go apologize to the people you actually did woke up."

"Sorry guys.."

I chuckled at their antics, before putting my pencil aside and switch my table lamp off, "it's alright guys, most of them probably needed a wake up call, due dates around the corner there's no time for sleep." My attempt in joking actually earned a worried look from the two.