Chapter 27

Remember to follow, vote, and comment!

You be the lightning. I'll be your thunder.

Chris' words echo in my mind as I open my eyes the next morning. The feel of his warm skin against mine. Those black-flecked blue eyes like deep wells to dive into.

Grey light of an overcast spring day filters through the white curtains of our bedroom. Austin shuffles around, trying to not wake me, but the sound of sock pulled over skin is unmistakable.

My eyes widen as I turn over to look at him, but my mind has not caught up. He catches my gaze as he gets off the bed and spins around.

"You okay?" He sounds cheery, alive.

I nod slowly. "Just waking up."

"Oh, damn. Sorry."

"No, it wasn't you. I'm just..."

"I know."

Lost. That's the word that pops into my mind. I wonder whether it's the same as what he's thinking.

Languidly, I stretch against the mattress, and prop myself onto one elbow.

"You seem better lately," I remark on the spark that's returned to Austin's eyes.

"Yeah, I feel better. I know our problems aren't all solved. But I still have work and I'm ready to show them my stress was temporary."

"You've been back a couple days... they don't know by now?"

"Staff physician booked me an appointment with a counselor. Wants to know there's nothing more serious than insomnia going on."

"Isn't there?"

"Yeah, but this is good, Andrea." He fastens the buttons of his blue collared shirt over a white undershirt. "It'll be all out in the open, and then I can go back to concentrating on work."

"One day at a time." I flop back down on the pillows.

"Yeah." He doesn't pick up on my sarcasm. He rounds the bed and leans over me. Kisses me goodbye.

I stare at the ceiling as I listen to him bump around the apartment: in the bathroom, then the kitchen, then the back hall.

"Bye!" He calls as the back door squeals open.

I call back weakly, then wait for the screen door to bounce back onto its frame. A moment later and I'm sure our automated car has pulled away.

Then I flick on my I-yes.

There's a message from Chris.

"Coming in today?" He asks.

"I was thinking about it..." I start. Then I write out, "But I'm still in bed."

I hesitate for only a moment before sending it. I feel my body flood with anticipation. My pulse accelerates at the thought of his reply. I'm suddenly fully awake.