Chapter 10 - 2016

"Look, this hasn't exactly been the best day ever, okay? And I really don't need you to bust my chops. Besides, it's not like I want to be here. I thought you'd be happy to see me again."

"Yeah, sure. It's just...I thought you were making a statement for all of us."

"Is a statement necessary? Your job is safe."

"Oh, what? That thing with Goodman? What's she going to do? It would be pretty dumb of her to try and get rid of me just for yelling. That would really make the union mad."

"Would it?" I ask quietly, thinking of my own dealings with them.

"What is it?"

The expression on my face doesn't escape my perceptive friend.

"I called them."

Henri squeezes into one of the desks in the back row. He sits backwards in the chair.

"Well, come on. What did they say?"

"I'd have to sit tight."

I tell him about the call I made to the union the other day. Carrie, the lady on the other end of the line, is an executive officer of my local.

She told me they were trying to deal with all the teachers who had been replaced by a robot.

"Everyone is in the same boat, Ms. Anderson. It's impossible for us to deal with each of you individually. We are fighting this, you have to know that. We're fighting on behalf of all the junior teachers that this happened to. We know that they can't just fire you."

"Can't I meet with someone? I really can't afford --"

"We don't know what the outcome will be," she interrupts. "We don't even know what the forum will be. This may be a matter of taking the school district to court. Or it may be more complicated than that. We just have nothing to tell you at this point."

She said that the best thing to do was wait for them to contact me with news of the information meeting they would hold about the sudden introduction of the I.I.U.s.

"Look," she said just before we hung up. "One last thing. They can't do this to you. You just keep that in mind, dear."

"And what am I supposed to live on in the meantime?"

"There'll be lots of retroactive pay, once we get you back to work. Just don't give up hope. We will take care of you."

I had the feeling she was trying to get me off the line as quickly as possible.

"So, what, they're doing nothing?" Henri asks.

"Not nothing. I'm sure they're working hard on it."

He laughs with derision.

"But, anyways, it's not good enough," I continue. "I still have student debt, for god's sake. We have bills to pay. I can't just sit around and wait. I have to work. I hope you understand that?"

He raises an eyebrow at me and grimaces.

"I can't say I like it. It's not what I would have done."

I sigh and cross my arms.

"But hey, look, I am glad you're back. Elizabeth and I are thinking dinner tonight. Come out with us and you can drink your worries away."

The three of us have been best friends for years. Elizabeth is a teacher at another school in the district.

I'd met her when I was in my first year of teaching, at a district teacher conference. I recall being shuffled from room to room and feeling like I was suddenly missing a limb, being out of my classroom.

Then I saw her, this achingly beautiful lady with a deep brown complexion and black dreadlocks down to her hips. They were interlaced with bright streaks of blue and purple.

If it weren't for the pink button down shirt and khakis, I wouldn't have thought she was a teacher. Elizabeth accepted me unconditionally from the moment we met, quirks and all.

She is one of the few people in life who have ever done that, and I've loved her for it ever since. The three of us often go out on Friday nights, but I'm not sure the tradition can continue now that my situation has changed.

"I don't know. I'm not sure I can afford restaurant dinners anymore. Which you know is a problem for me. They've been my main source of nutrition up until now."

I try to keep my voice light.

"Come on, Andrea. Just this once? We can call a truce. Just because you're now working for the evil corporation doesn't mean that we have to stop hanging out."

"What did you say?"

My face grows hot.

"I said we should keep hanging out..."

"I mean about working for a corporation. You know that's not true. Look, this is really hard for me. It's just fine for you to sit there judging me, isn't it? But you're not the one who was laid off, are you?"

"Andrea, I didn't mean to --"

"Of course you did. You always do, Henri. You always mean exactly what you say. That's why we're best friends, remember?"

"I guess I didn't understand what you're going through, okay? Come on, just come out with us and we can talk it over."

I am too mad at him to say anything. I stare at his face.

Although he looks contrite, I don't really want to see him right now. Just then, the school bell rings and the sounds of children's voices fill the hall.

"Look, I have to supervise the kids so they don't break that stupid machine. It's my job now. I'll just catch up to you later, okay?"

Henri looks like he's going to reply but I don't want to hear it. I slip into the hall before he can say anything back.

(Continued in Chapter 11...)

**************************
Hey, I hope you're enjoying my story so far! Please let me know what you think of this chapter by VOTING for it or leaving me a COMMENT. Let me know what you think of this argument: do you think that Andrea is in the right here?

What do you think will happen next? To find out, read on! 😊

And if you'd like to keep up to date with me as an author (and a human being), please follow me on Instagram and twitter @sawauthor or on facebook /sawauthor, or on all 3 platforms!