Chapter 35

Remember to follow, vote, and comment!

"Elizabeth, Miriam, Henri," Chris enumerates their names while staring me down

"Elizabeth, Miriam, Henri," Chris enumerates their names while staring me down. "Can you give us a minute?"

"Sure, boss." I can feel Miriam rolls her eyes from across the room.

"Meet you downstairs?" Henri leans over the table towards me and raises his eyebrows.

Don't sleep with him. The message he sent me about Chris a few weeks ago comes back into my mind.

I ignore the unspoken and nod, then let my eyes fall.

Chris waits for them to leave. He doesn't take his eyes off me, and he doesn't move from his place against the glass until the sound of their footfall on the metal steps fade away.

"What are you doing?" He examines me as if for some clue.

"We had to do it," I start. "Chris, we had to give the union one more –"

"The union? Are you kidding?"

"They've agreed to partner with us."

"So what? They're about to be stripped of all their power –"

"They're organizing a coalition and it's not just our teaching union. It's all labor unions, private and public, across the country who have agreed to team up and help us."

"None of that matters! None of it will matter after they pass this bill!"

"You think they'll pass the bill?"

"Of course! What reason do they have not to?"

"Well, for one thing - the people who elected them."

"Andrea, don't be stupid. This is a majority government. Sure, we can all vote them out at the next election, but by that time the damage will be done. The work that would have to go into building these protections back... well, they're banking on us being too exhausted from our fight for survival."

It's a grim future he speaks into existence.

"We can't – Chris, we can't let them." My feet nearly move on their own, but I keep them rooted.

"Of course we can't let them! That's why we have to forget about these distractions –"

He gestures around the room as I weakly counter, "It's not a distraction –"

"– and do something drastic."

"That's exactly what we're planning to do. It's exactly why we spoke to the union."

"What do you mean?"

"We've planned a march. But not like that flash mob at RoboNomics – not that small. A real protest, a real Movement of the people numbering in the tens - the hundreds of thousands. Something to show just how unpopular the government's dealings and decisions have been."