Chapter 16 - 2016

It's been tense between Henri and I. Ever since our fight, my new position has shoved a wedge between us.

It's not that we stopped talking completely, but we've been more colleagues than close friends. I would tell him as much, but the truth is that it makes me sad.

Henri was the only real friend I had in this school. Now the only people I have to talk to at work are Jay and the robot. And I'm not about to share my deepest secrets with either of them.

But every time I think I'm about to break down and run to gossip with him in his classroom at lunch, I remember what he said to me about my job and I'm hurt and angry all over again.

"Nothing much. Just getting ready for this press conference," I tell him.

"Yeah. Me too."

He crosses his arms and stares at the ground. He looks defeated.

"So much fun, right?"

"Yeah."

"Look, Andrea. I really am sorry. I miss you. Can't we just make up and get back to being friends already?"

I look up at him. My jaw is set and I'm ready for a fight.

But seeing him look so tired makes me rethink it. After all, I could really use a friend.

"Yeah, okay."

My face instantly relaxes.

"Okay, great. Because I have to tell you the funniest thing that just happened with those ridiculous RoboNomics people."

His face brightens and he rushes towards me. He takes a chair from the side of the room and sits next to me, behind the teacher's desk. He looks down at the monitor in the wooden surface of the desk.

"What's that?"

"Oh, it's just...it's my job. Have to make sure the stupid thing is in top working order for tomorrow."

I gesture with my thumb towards the I.I.U. She's still sitting at the group work table and is blinking, observing our interaction. Her head is cocked to one side like a quizzical puppy.

"It's...you're amazing!" Henri watches the scrolling code.

"What? Not really."

"No, really. I could never do that. I have no idea what all of that means. It's just a bunch of gobbledygook to me, but you can make sense of it. You know what it means. That's kind of incredible. I guess it makes sense that they'd want to have you on their side, right? It's quite a skill you have, Andrea."

"Yeah, thanks."

I'm distracted by what he said. It makes sense that they'd want to have you on their side.

"Look, Henri. I'm sorry too. I didn't want you to think that I'd given up on getting my old job back. In fact, I'm working really hard on getting it back, even now."

"Are you?"

The question is innocent enough, but it makes me want to tell him everything. I want to tell him about the Protest Group and about our plans for the press conference.

Maybe that way he'll understand. Maybe that way, we can be what we always were before: two weirdos, no -- more than that. We'll be two co-conspirators among all the people who are against us at Crescent Street Public.

I lean towards him and keep my voice low.

"Henri, I know you can keep a secret."

"What? What is it, Andrea?"

I've got his attention now. He leans towards me.

"The thing is, I'm not just making sure that she's ready to go for tomorrow. I'm working on something that could really help me get back to teaching."

"Tell me."

His eyes are wide and there's an expectant smirk on his face. So I do what he asks.

I tell him everything.

(Find out whether Andrea's plan works in Chapter 17...)

************************
Hey, all! Thanks for your continued support. As of this update in May 2019, RoboNomics is about to break 100K reads!

That might be small potatoes for Wattpad numbers, but for a story that I started drafting in 2011 that's not young adult or fan fiction, I'm stunned that you still love it!

I'm so happy that I've found a readership. 😊

Ok, that aside please VOTE if you enjoyed this chapter, and leave me a comment letting me know whether you think Henri will help or hinder Andrea with the press conference plan?

I bet not even one of you would be able to guess what happens next! Keep reading to find out!!