Chapter 50 - 2016

We run south but keep glancing over our shoulders. Soon, it's apparent that the bots aren't following us. We slow to a jog, and then to a walk. 

They probably don't bother because of the red AR emblem that's stitched into Elizabeth's black hoodie. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had specifically asked for that bit of programming to be included in their algorithms.

We turn onto King Street and head west. 

"Where are we going?" I ask her.

"Where I know we'll be safe."

I stop in my tracks. I can't believe I didn't figure it out yet. I was panicked about Austin, I was afraid of the bots. I wasn't thinking straight. 

"I'm not going there," I say. "Elizabeth, you know I can't go there."

"Come on, Andrea. It's our best bet. Do you really think that Austin would just run off like that? Without you? Where do you think he's gone?"

I haven't thought about it. What if what she's implying is true? What if Chris took Austin from the square and told my husband what happened between us? 

Worse yet, what if he tells Austin some lie? I suddenly feel as though I can't breathe.

"And besides," Elizabeth says. "At least if we go to the old Protest Group office, I can keep you safe."

"Safe?" I exclaim as my breath comes in quick, panicked spurts. "You really think you or anyone can keep me safe? Maybe you can keep me off the streets, maybe you can shelter and feed me — you might even be able to keep me safe from the patrol bots. But you can't keep me safe from him."

But I've already made up my mind. If there's a chance that Austin is with Chris, I have to go there. I step past Elizabeth and walk up the street as fast as I can.

"Andrea, what are you —"

"Let's go."

I don't say anything else to her the rest of the walk. I can't believe what she's become. She was my friend but now, I'm not sure.

When we get to the ancient brick building with its familiar markings of "A.R. Williams" on the peak, there's a group of Anti-Robotists standing around just outside. Even though the heat of the sun reflects off the grey sidewalk, they all wear black pants and black hoodies. 

They have red bandannas like Elizabeth, but unlike her, they wear theirs around their necks. I see their faces as they smile at each other, talk and laugh.

But when they see me the light of joy and camaraderie goes from their eyes. They throw the bandannas up over their mouths and noses.

"What's this?" One of them calls to Elizabeth. He's a young man with a pale, bald head that glints in the sunlight.

"Something for Chris." I start and look at her with surprise.

"Oh, yeah. What, for fun? From you? Get her out of here."

"You'll want to talk to him about this first. Trust me, he'll be pissed if I let her go."

He shifts from foot to foot.

"Just tell him that Anderson is here. It's something he's been waiting to hear."

The bald man jerks his head towards a skinny kid, no older than 18, with long, matted brown hair. She enters the building through the main doors. Those French doors used to be of glass, but are now boarded up with plywood.

The bald Anti-Robotist turns away from us and goes back to talking, as if we aren't here at all.

"I can't believe you," I whisper angrily to Elizabeth.