Chapter 41 - 2016

He's accompanied by a lanky metallic riot droid with its silver eyes blazing light. I sink back into the bathroom and close the door as much as I can without making a sound.

"Did you really have to bring that thing here?" Chris points to the bot.

"I couldn't take the chance that there were still rioters in the street," Jay says.

"Protestors, you mean," Chris counters.

"Either way, I should congratulate you. You turned it into a full-blown riot. It was a perfect way to demonstrate the power of the police droids. I'm sure the city will now see that they're indispensable."

"Of course," Chris lacks his usual volatile passion. "Although you probably did most of that yourself."

"Don't be modest." Jay smirks. "We couldn't have justified action if it weren't for your explosion," he says to Oz, Shari and Joe. "He'll be pleased. You'll have what you were promised. Now I want to talk about next steps."

"Tomorrow, goddamnit!" Chris' face crinkles into anger. "I've had enough of him today."

"Yeah, I'm tired anyways." Shari nudges Oz and nods toward the door.

"We'll see you tomorrow, Chris." 

Oz pushes Jay's shoulder roughly as Joe grabs the droid by its metallic arm and leads it toward the elevator. The machine looks back at him with blank eyes. Jay Tharanga looks at Chris, who grabs the table top and stares at the floor.

"You coming?" Shari stands in the elevator with Joe, Oz and the droid.

"Yes." Jay follows them.

When the sound of the elevator fades away, Chris slams the table top. I jump as he turns to the conference room stairs.

As he's about to mount the metal steps, my FlexPhone begins to sing. I cringe as the song echoes in the bathroom. It spills into the room beyond, filling it from concrete floor to peaked rafters. I grab for it. 

Austin is calling me. I shut off the alert with a tap but it's too late. Chris pushes the door open, grabs me by the arm and flings me into the middle of the concrete floor.

"You sure have a talent for showing up where you shouldn't be." He stands over me.

"How could you?" I rise to my feet. "We trusted you. Everyone trusted you."

"Come on, Anderson. This is me. You know me. Don't you think I've already got a plan?"

"But I heard you. You were making a deal with RoboNomics."

"How did you know —"

"Jay Tharanga? I worked with him. He was there, that day you torn that teaching bot apart. Don't tell me you've forgotten? Because I sure as hell haven't."

"Anderson, just trust me. I still believe we can get our lives back. We can change things here. But this is the only way left."

"That's what you said about the bomb," I say. "But that didn't exactly work, did it? After everything you said, you're just going to betray us?"

"You still don't get it, do you?" He cuts in. "You would have me play their game. I'm not about to do that. What I'm going to do is beat them at their game."

"No." I meet his eyes with my gaze. "I'm sick of you using me, and I'm not going to let you do this. Do you have any idea how many people are depending on this? On you?" 

I turn away from him and cross the floor to the elevator. He grabs me by the arm just as I am about to reach the door. He pulls me back into the room with stunning strength.

"Anderson, you can't say a word about what you heard here today. If anyone finds out, it'll put everything in jeopardy. My plan to screw up theirs would be for nothing. You just have to believe me. It won't be long now."

I turn and look into his eyes. They shine with a hardness that wasn't there when he kissed me. They didn't look that way when he told me he was more than just physically attracted to me.

I shake my head. "I don't know what to believe anymore." 

I try to pull away but his grip tightens around my elbow. My breath comes in quick pulses as I begin to panic. I pull against his grip but I can't get my arm loose.

"You can't tell anyone, Anderson," he repeats. "You'll ruin this. Just don't say anything." He squints as he examines my face. "Or maybe I need to talk to your husband?"

"Excuse me?"

"Where were you last night, Anderson? There's only two people who know the truth – who know that you helped plant the bomb that set Queen's Park on fire. Who know that you've been involved in criminal activity -- who know that you spent last night with a man who isn't your husband."

The mention of Austin starts a fire in my belly. I am suddenly overwhelmed with the absurdity of it. A few hours ago he kissed me. Did I dream it? 

I don't take my eyes off his. I grab something and slam it into his skull. He lets me go as he collapses against one of the desks. My hands are shaking as I drop my weapon. As it falls I realize that it's a stool.

I bolt towards the elevator. Chris gets up and comes towards me but I close the door just in time. I can hear him shout through it.

"Don't tell anyone, Anderson," he yells. "Not unless you want your husband involved in this!"

(Continued in Chapter 42...)

************************

Hey, there. Thanks for reading Chapter 41! Let me know what you think of it by VOTING and COMMENTING!