Chapter 22 - 2016

I spot Lilly in her front yard as I approach home. I dread the encounter. 

I wave as I turn up my driveway and Lilly looks up from fussing with her Christmas lights. I'm about to duck into my walkway when Lilly suddenly drops the entangled cords that she is feeding to her HomeBot.

"Goddamnit," she shouts. 

I've never heard her swear before and the volume of it stops me in my tracks. 

"Stupid thing," she continues. 

I glance to my periphery to see what's happened.

Her angry face is illuminated by the front porch lamp. She prods at the screen on the torso of her HomeBot. The machine is looking at her with blank eyes. 

I want to go inside. I want to back away from the scene before I am involved, but I am stepping down the driveway. I am walking towards her yard. I am at her side, asking her what's gone wrong.

"Oh, I don't know. This thing is acting up again." 

My hands are already out of my gloves and on the machine. I poke at its chassis and open the white chest panel. I peer at the tiny computer screen with its scrolling lines of blue computer code.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" she asks. 

I don't answer. I don't look up at her.

"That should do it," I say after a couple minutes. 

I slip my icy hands back into my heavy gloves.

"Oh." Lilly's HomeBot springs back to life. "Um...perfect." 

The bot continues unwinding the string of lights, its servos whining as it does. 

"I guess they weren't built for the cold." 

I nod and head back towards home.

"Oh, Andrea, by the way. I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What is it, Lilly?" 

I am freezing from standing in the snow while editing code. All I can think about is getting inside. 

"I want to talk to you about a job I might have for you."

My shoulders drop with relief. 

"Do you?" I try to keep desperation out of my voice.

"Yep. As long as you're interested in it," Lilly replies. "I've been getting into home selling lately and I've discovered this company called Shining Beauty. They sell jewelry. Look!" 

She takes off her gloves and displays two large glittering rocks on the index and middle finger of her right hand. They are over-large pale pink and emerald green stones. Both are surrounded by crystal accents. 

Glass, comes my one thought at the sight of them.

"Aren't they absolute treats?" Lilly asks in a rush. "And look." 

She shoves her scarf aside to reveal colored crystals arranged in the shape of a butterfly. They dangle from a silver chain. 

"What do you think?" she asks with a dimpled grin. 

There is no doubt about what answer I'm supposed to give.

"It's beautiful," I say, embarrassed by my lie.

"So, listen." Lilly rearranges her scarf and puts her glove back on. "Shining Beauty needs home sellers and I know you need a job. The perks are great. You get all sorts of jewelry rewards for selling. I got those rings for free. And you get first crack at the new releases."