Chapter 50

Remember to follow, vote, and comment!

Austin and I run from the park with the need to not be caught by those hideous machine propelling us

Austin and I run from the park with the need to not be caught by those hideous machine propelling us. I have no idea where we're headed and I don't ask. It's not until the clank of their march dies away, until the other people who'd taken up residence in the square with us dissolve into the city streets, until we turn down a side street and feel the cocoon of glass and metal close us in that we slow down.

Panting, I bend over and stop.

"Austin, wait," I say between breaths as he continues down the street. "Where are we going?"

"Away from them," is his only reply.

"We need a plan. We need to figure out what's next."

"Any ideas?"

I think about this. "I really don't know," I admit. "Even if we felt safe at an aid center or a shelter... you saw it back there. The bots could be anywhere. They could be anyone."

He slumps as I stand back up. He looks intensely into my eyes. Miraculously, his face folds into a smile.

"Sure you're not one?" He asks, eyes twinkling.

I know it's a joke, but even so, I roll my eyes. "Guess I should check you, too."

Suddenly, he's got my face in his hands and I look up into his eyes. I laugh as I mime checking his irises for the telltale orange light. But then I notice how his gaze has softened. My hands slip down to his shoulders as I succumb to his kiss, luxuriating in the feeling as I wrap my arms around his neck.

When I break away from him, breathless, I realize that we're no better off. I look into his eyes and then away, racking my brain for somewhere safe, somewhere we could call home for a few days. With canny bots appearing as anyone and patrol bots clearing parks, I can't think of a single place we can go.

Then it comes to me, and I look back up at him with a smile.

"What is it?"

"You know... Elizabeth said we could join her. When we saw her yesterday."

"Join her? With that destructive gang of –"

"Austin," I say firmly. "We have no where else to go. No other offers of safety."

"That's not entirely true. Those people we met yesterday, they seemed ok."

"Really? Because it seemed to me that they were scrambling. Everyone is scrambling for survival, Austin. Not just those people, but everyone. At the aid center, at the shelter. At least Elizabeth and the anarchists are a group. They have numbers. They have plans. There's power in that. There's... protection."

"And what if they're infiltrated, too? What if we show up and half of them are bots? What then, Andrea?"

"At least we know how to find out."