Chapter 80 - 2016

It's a man, donned in a tuxedo similar to those around him. He has a mass of sandy natural waves on his head, déclassé in this crowd of elaborate hair structures.

He tips his glass to me from his spot across the room and smiles. My eyes fall immediately to the ground and my pulse quickens at the thought of a stranger trying to seduce me from across the room. A man I've never seen before.

"Excuse me, Emma. Who is that man?" I point to the man across the room, who had since turned back to his fellows in conversation.

"Who's what?" Her eyes follow my finger. "Oh...him?" Recognition springs to her eyes. "That's him. Newhouse's son. He's only recently arrived, you know. Must be such a comfort to his dear old dad," she says sarcastically.

"Arrived? Where...at the party?"

"No, Andrea. Of course not. In New Rome."

Where else would the son of a rich man live? 

"Where was he before?"

"On Earth. Something about a misspend youth. Going with the bad element, didn't speak to his family for years apparently."

There's a time bomb ticking down in my brain. I look over at him.

"Anyways," Emma continues. "Now he's back into the fold and it's not good news for us. We've got to do something about it. Who knows what energy, innovation, and ideas he'll bring to RoboNomics. I mean, the bots design and code themselves, but if he knows anything at all about management --"

"What did you say his name is?" I cut her off.

"Newhouse. Andrea, are you even listening to me?"

"His first name. What's his first name?"

Now I'm the one staring openly at him, my heart in my throat.

"Christopher."

No, I think as my hands begin to tremble. It couldn't be.

I feel my breath as it slowly leaves my body and cease. Emma is still speaking to me but I can't hear her. It's as if I've been plunged under water. The sounds of the crowd fade to a muffle — my movements slow as I look at his face.

It's him. Clean shaven, hair cut and well dressed. A different name. But his stature is the same. The smile and the way he holds himself is the same. I'd know him anywhere.

The world, the room, the sights and the sounds all snap sharply back into focus as Emma asks me, "Andrea, did you hear me?"

"I'm so sorry, Emma. I'm suddenly feeling under the weather. I think I've got to find a bathroom." 

I don't wait for an answer. I run to the restrooms.

How long ago was that since I last saw him? Years? I think. Why is he here? How has a garbageman suddenly become the heir to a vast fortune?

I lean over one of the marble sinks.

How long have I been running from him — been running from his memory?

I feel faint and grip the exquisite, spotless counter as I sway. I suddenly snap my head up to face myself in the mirror and realize what I have to do.

I quickly unfurl the FlexPhone from my tiny hand bag and a moment later Rupert appears on the screen.

"Rupert, I need you to send a car to the gallery," I blurt out.

"Of course, Ms. Anderson. I'll send it right away."

I roll the screen back up and realize that it will be another fifteen minutes before the car appears. I have to get Austin. I sprint from the bathroom as fast as I can in my form-fitting mermaid gown.

As I make my way through the crowd, panicking when I can't find Austin, I spot Chris. Wherever I move, his eyes follow.

Here he is, reappearing. My memory of the time after I lost my job is all mixed up. The causes of my speedy downfall are confused.

I believe that it was his fault — that it was Chris' fault. Not only the loss of my job but the loss of my home, my life.

The heir to the RoboNomics fortune? He must have been the one. He was the one all along. Had he been plotting it -- bent on ruining my happiness?

Finally I find Aurora.

"Oh, I think he's with the artist," she says when I ask after Austin. "They went to look at the newer pieces upstairs. Austin wanted to hear all about them."

My eyes snap to the grand staircase in plain sight of the crowd. I hike the restriction of my skirt up over my knees and hear a gasp and a titter behind me as I kick off my five-inch gold heels.

"Austin," I hiss when I spot him. "We have to go, now."

"Ah, Andrea," Austin exclaims when he sees me. "I wanted to show you Gatsha's new works. Aren't they remarkable? I was just saying to Gatsha that they are so different than his previous works. What do you think?"

I give the sculptures a cursory glance and notice that they are very different from his earth-bound works. It seems the artist had lost his muse in among this plush life and luxe food.

"I think we need to go," I say to Austin.

"We were just about to--" he gestures vaguely down the hall of artistic horrors, but I interrupt.

"He's here."

#

"I don't understand," Austin says. "How did he get here?"

I don't answer. We leave the gallery before the car arrives. We run out the open stone archway while I look back over my shoulder.

Chris, meanwhile, is pushing his way through the crowd. He's trying to follow us.

"Austin, go," I say to my husband.

He doesn't need to be told twice. Hiking my dress up again, I struggle to match the pace set by his long legs. We bound up the street, buoyed by the weak gravity. I follow him, not knowing where we're going or how far we'll have to run.

I glance behind me. I can see Chris, standing just outside the entrance, revelers clustered around him. He's watching us.

"Austin," I call. But Austin doesn't stop. "Austin..." I call again, falling further behind.

Suddenly, I spot a cleft between buildings. With a look to my fleeing husband, I skid to a bouncing halt and run down the alley. I can see the other side and the friendly buildings of another street. I have to lose him. At least that way I can get him away from Austin.

"Andrea!" I look back and see Chris at the street. My breathing comes hard and fast. As I watch, he bolts into the alley.

Just as I reach the other side, I trip. My bare feet, unused to the leaping steps I'm taking over cobblestones, stagger. I fall with a bounce and a bump.

I struggle to get up in my floor-length gown. I hear something behind me. Chris is there. He grabs for my dress as I rise and elude him.

"Andrea, wait. Can we just --"

Just then, a pod-car screeches to a stop in front of me. The door is thrust open and Austin calls my name. I throw myself head first into the back lounge.

(Continued in Chapter 81...)