Chapter 29 - 2016

I'm taking a bagel from my lunch bag when Chris returns to the Group headquarters a few days later. He is surrounded by his ex-garbage collector colleagues just like the first time I saw him. Today, he smiles from ear to ear as he shakes hands with Bill.

The repetitive days at the office have helped me. It's comforting to have something that resembles a work schedule. And I've become used to Chris' absences. 

Henri, Miriam, Elizabeth and I field questions from our burgeoning staff. We talk on our FlexPhones with important players from school, union, and Ministry of Education. We compose letters and pamphlets that we send out to our growing email list of contacts. 

We employ the teachers' skills in any way that will help the cause. The work is important to me; I do it for free.

"He does have a power, doesn't he?" Elizabeth asks as she approaches the kitchenette.

"Pardon me?" I ask, stunned. 

I feel transparent, as if the contents of my mind have been turned inside out for her to examine. She nods towards Chris as he crosses the floor.

I look away from him to tend to my lunch. 

"I guess."

"There are more people here now, aren't there? I think half of us are here just because of his passion. I don't think I've seen anything like it."

I'm stung by the implication that our public outreach has been ineffectual next to Chris and his relentless drive. 

"Yeah. It seems like we're all just here to support him," I say. 

My insides still burn at the thought of the protest going forward.

"Maybe," she says. 

She goes back to gazing at the man in question and I follow her eyes. 

Perhaps it's his smile, I think as I throw my lunch bag back into the fridge, leaving my bagel on the counter. 

I stride towards the group as they cross the floor to the stairs.

"Look, I just wanted to talk to you about something," I say as I reach Chris' side. 

He seems physically startled by my voice.

"Uh, okay. Come with me." 

He glances back at Joe, Oz and Shari and makes for the attic meeting room. He takes the stairs two at a time and disappears.

I find him sitting at the head of the table. He pats the seat next to him. 

"Look," I start to say as I walk towards him. "I wanted to ask you...are you really planning on holding the protest?"

"Yeah. Why, haven't you being spreading the word? That is your job," he remarks.

"Well, it's not really a job, is it? It's not like I'm getting paid," I snap and cross my arms.

"I thought you cared about the cause. I didn't think it was about money for you. Aren't you teachers all supposed to love your job, isn't it your calling?"

"And why are you here? Because collecting garbage is your calling?"

He rises. "What, you think you're so much better than us? Is that is?"

"Not better, just different. I mean, all those labor trades...well, they involve really hard physical activity, mainly. Really damaging stuff, you know? You can easily see why everyone would want to automate those jobs, can't you?"