Love In a Time of Revolution.

She would not allow him to see her unclothed. That she made sure of even when their relationship progressed, and she fell deeper in love with him.

Any time they were alone together, she didn't let him kiss her anywhere other than her face, a part of her shoulder, and the base of her neck. Places where the glyphs didn't show.

She hadn't meant to grow more intimate with him. It never came naturally to her, such feelings sprouted from the deep bond she already developed with him, just as it did with her husband long ago .

She listened to her heart and greater instincts. She let herself fall in love again.

They mated in her cabin away from the rest of the encampment. She remembered it all again. He was different from her husband, his body felt different as did his scent, but the feelings were the same. She loved him in heart and body, the way angels do to their very soul. It was worth it.

However, she wasn't ready to reveal her true nature to him yet. Their trysts, far and few in between, occurred in darkness, at night and without light inside their tent. She did not allow him to look at her, in fear of what her natural-born glyphs would stir in the revolutionary's heart. Fear of the unknown that would turn to anger? She wouldn't risk it.

Surprisingly, he respected her wishes. He would not look upon her when she took him, but curiosity is innate to human nature. One stormy winter night, he lit a candle and gazed upon her.

He had never seen anything so beautiful.

The woman sleeping peacefully at his side appeared divine. Her gold tresses seemingly glowed beneath the candlelight. She was muscled and full like the sculptures of ancient goddesses. A stripe of white fuzz trailed down from below her breasts down to the gold curls of her pubic area. She appeared ageless, but not flawless. The stretchmarks across her belly and groin evidence of multiple childbirths, as were her breasts.

He only saw the glyphs at second notice, coiling around her body like primordial serpents. Was she a witch? He didn't care. He loved her regardless.

She opened her eyes when he kissed her. He did it with his eyes open.

She forcefully pushed him away, springing up and quickly dressing herself.

"Emma!" He reached for her when she stormed out the tent into the winter cold. "Emma!!" He pursued her tracks into the snow, finding her in the woods with the flakes and bare trees surrounding them. Her back turned to him, cloak furling in the gust. "Leave me."

"Emma I'm sorry!" Caleb apologized.

"Go!" The divine command in her voice sent him running, he only slowed down when he heard her soft cries. When he trudged back to her, she didn't shoo him off. "Emma please forgive me, I broke your trust."

"It doesn't matter."

"I'm sorry! Please!" Caleb pleaded. "Come back."

"No." Her voice cut through the snow. "This was foolish. Why did I let myself believe this would work? That I could keep what I am from you?"

"Emma." He slowly approached her. " I don't care if you're a witch.I love you regardless."

"You think I'm a witch?" Emma laughed in the manner of her father. "I'm a creature more ancient than the oldest witch." She turned and stared at him, locking him in place with her golden eyes sharp and stark against the whitening snow. "I'm a Nephilim. I'm half angel. My mother is the last Watcher and my father is the son of Dracula. None like me walk this Earth."

"Then that is why you're so beautiful." Caleb marveled. " I swear on my life I won't tell anyone. I love you Emma, regardless of what you are. Regardless of the vampiric blood in your veins."

"It doesn't matter." Emma grimaced. " It's because of what I am why this will not work. I'm immortal,Caleb. I'm centuries old. I have married and mated, and born children who passed on long before. I cannot age."

"I don't care."

"Now you don't!" Emma turned and snapped at him. "Because you are young and full of wool! But you will age, as humans do, and you will die."

He took her hand. "Then let me die after spending my life with you."

"Caleb you can't! I won't let you throw your life away for me!"

"My life isn't worth living without you in it."

"For God's sake..." She gripped her forehead. "Do you really want to do that? Live with me, knowing you will grow old while I stay young?"

"I'd rather live a brief lifetime knowing you than an immortal one alone." Caleb answered from the bottom of his heart. "Please Emmaline....I love you........more than you could ever imagine."

Emma huffed, a white cloud frosted from her breath. She'd be lying to herself if she rejected him. She knew what she wanted despite understanding what it would eventually come to. A small part of her gnashed at her heart for succumbing to love , especially knowing the pain of eventually losing it again. Yet a stronger part roared to cherish it while it lasted, especially in the tumult of war. Enjoy it now, or regret not having it later.

"I love you too, Caleb." She whispered unashamed. With those words she knew she had stuck.

Fuck it, cherish it while I can. It's what Cyrus would have wanted.

"Let's get you out of the cold." She led him back to his tent on the outer edge of their encampment. "Valley Forge is colder than a frozen witch's tit, and I've a feeling we'll be on the move again, once the winter thaws." They needed to rest for the battles ahead.