CONGRATULATIONS

Narrator

The Marsh- Mo family had taken the new graduates out to dinner. They were all having a nice lunch and having a nice family bonding time....

But everyone had noticed how Y/n's wasn't as excited as everyone else.

- Y/N POV -

"You okay?" Mr. Marsh asked for the 3rd time.

He kept on asking me questions since the end of the graduation ceremony. I was doing my best to keep up a happy image so he would leave me alone, but it wasn't working out every well.

"Yeah," I answered with a smile.

"Just say what's wrong, they're not going to leave you alone until you say something," Olive suddenly leaned in to whisper.

"Come one, baby. Tell us what's wrong," Mrs. Mo suddenly wrapped her arm around me.

It felt really uncomfortable.

I wanted to move her arm away from me, but I didn't want to be rude.

"Yeah, it's a happy day! You should be happy!" Danielle exclaimed.

I did my best to put on a fake smile.

"C'mon kiddo, we're not going to judge you or be upset for sharing how you feel," Mr. Marsh insisted.

I took a deep breath, not really wanting to say anything, before clearing my throat. "I wish my mom was here," I lowly shared.

I only chose to share in hopes that maybe everyone would just leave me alone, but instead... I got a....

"It's okay. We're here for you!" From Mrs. Mo...

Followed by a, "Plus my mom is so much better!", from Danielle.

I kept my composure as best as I could and politely excused myself, "Excuse me, I need to use the restroom".

I then got up from my chair and made my way out of the restaurant.

I tried my best not to cry, but I couldn't help it.

It wasn't fair.

"Hey, are you okay?" Danielle suddenly walked out of the restaurant.

"Yeah, I just need some air," I tried to hide the fact that I was crying.

Dani kept trying to look at my face, but I kept on trying to avoid her.

"Hey, it's okay. You don't need her. She hurt you. That's not what a mother is supposed to do," Danielle was trying to comfort me....

But she was hurting me instead.

"My mom loves you like her own kid and she's here for you-"

"BUT SHE'S NOT MY MOM!!" I snapped out in both anger and agony.

"She's your mom, and it's not fair that she gets to be here and share your happiest moments with you. While my mom is just out there....," I sniffled out.

"Y/n, your mom is not a good mom... and... you need to let her go," Danielle tried to comfort me by rubbing my arm.

I couldn't do anything step away.

"Y/n, you should be happy she's not hurting you anymore. We love you and my mom will always-"

"SHE'S NOT MY MOM!! MY MOM IS MY MOM AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SHE'S NOT A GOOD MOM. SHE'S MY MOM!!!" I started to breakdown.

- Danielle POV -

Y/n was hyperventilating and having a full on breakdown.

"SHE'S MY MOM!!" Y/n kept crying out.

"Why couldn't she just choose me?! Why did she choose to side with him?! Why did I have to end up on the streets when he deserved to be jailed?! TELL ME!!" Y/n was clearly not okay.

It was really hard breaking.

Y/n was always a bit calm and cold. This was a side I hadn't seem before. It was a bit scary to tell the truth.

"Y/n, your mom doesn't deserve y-"

I keep trying to talk, but Y/n just wouldn't let me.

"YOU DON'T GET IT!!" Y/n yelled.

"NO MATTER HOW MUCH PAIN MY MOM HAS CAUSED ME, SHE IS STILL MY MOM. NO ONE CAN EVER TELL ME THAT SHE IS NOT MY MOM. YEAH, I WANNA SPIT IN HER FACE AT TIMES.... BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY SHE IS MY MOM," Y/n kept on painfully yelling.

"She is my mother.... and... it would've been nice if she saw me graduate. If she would've cared enough to be there for me," Y/n exhaled with a shaky breath.

I was doing my best to hold my own tears, but I couldn't hold them back for too long.

"Your mom could hurt you or leave you or do something bad, but you'd still love her. It's not like you could just forget about her," Y/n sniffled out.

I started sniffling myself. I was trying to get myself together, but I just couldn't.

I always thought that Y/n was just better off without their mom...

But I was starting to see, that a mother is a mother no matter what they've done.

"D-do you miss her?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"Yeah," Y/n lowly replied.

"Don't you think she'd be proud of you?" I followed.

Y/n pursed their lips and nodded a bit, before saying... "I would hope so".

I couldn't kept help myself anymore and abruptly pulled Y/n into a hug.

I was expecting Y/n to reject my comfort or maybe even start to break down again, but Y/n suddenly hugged me back tightly and lifted me off my feet.

"Umm..., congratulations on graduating!" Y/n sniffled out.

"Yeah, you too," I whispered back as I hugged them tighter.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-