⸻ two

season 6, episode 8 - invest in love

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

     "THANK YOU VERY MUCH," Sage said, taking the very sad looking grilled cheese Alex had probably made for her.

"That's wasn't for you," Alex grumbled, but he gave her the sandwich anyways. She broke it in half and handed him the bigger half as they walked inside the hospital.

Alex took a bite of his sandwich as they made their way to the nurse's station before they were stopped by Chief Richard Webber.

"Karev," he said, walking towards the duo.

Sage opened her mouth to greet him but was cut off when Derek Shepherd stepped in. He had a smile on his face and a cup of coffee in his hand as she approached the group.

"Morning Chief," he said. Richard didn't stop and just continued walking towards them. Sage raised an eyebrow at Derek who just chuckled and shook his head.

She was a little embarrassed to admit it, but Sage hadn't always been so fond of the great Dr. Derek Shepherd. She'd been ok with him at first, but then he'd started sleeping with Meredith and she'd thought he was taking advantage of her, and then Addison, his wife he didn't tell anybody about, had shown up and she'd really hated him. But, with time, he'd regained Meredith's trust and the trust of everyone of her friends, including Sage. They were good friends, not as good of friends as her and Alex, but good friends nonetheless.

"Uh, when you're free, come find me," he told Alex, continuing to ignore Derek before he walked away.

"What was that about?" Sage asked the neurosurgeon when the chief was out of earshot.

"He fired me," Derek explained as they continued towards the nurse's station. "And I refused to be fired, so I say hello to him every morning, and he says not a word."

"Sounds familiar," Alex scoffed, stuffing the rest of his half of the sandwich into his mouth.

"You haven't heard from Stevens?" he asked.

Sage frowned as Alex said, "Not a word."

"They'll come around when they come around," Derek assured him as they took charts from the nurse's station.

"He's right," Sage added, offering her best friend a soft smile.