⸻ fifteen

season 7, episode 8 - something's gotta give

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

      SAGE CHANG THOUGHT the most shocking and upsetting thing she would witness was the Seattle Grace shooting. She was wrong. The most shocking and upsetting thing she would witness (so far), was Cristina Yang quitting the program. Cristina Yang, the surgical monster, the most talented and determined person Sage had ever met, had quit.

On the bright-ish side, Callie was back, but only because Arizona broke up with her and Derek was still working on getting a grant for his Alzheimer's clinical trial.

Sage held an ice coffee as she sat next to Meredith in the auditorium. Teddy was giving a presentation about her and Cristina's last patient, Roy Henley, and both of them were hoping to hear something about Cristina, and why she quit.

"Where were you last night?" Meredith asked her, turning to her friend.

"Nowhere," Sage lied.

The truth was, after the shooting, she started taking self defense classes. It wouldn't do much against a gun, but it gave her a sense of safety and it made her feel strong. She didn't even want to feel that helpless ever again. She didn't tell anyone about the classes because she was pretty sure if it got back to Alex, he would make fun of her.

"What are you hiding?" Meredith continued.

"Nothing," Sage replied calmly, taking a sip of her drink.

"What's his name?"

"What? There's no him," she denied.

"There has to be a him. You're cheating on Jackson?" She quickly shushed her so that Jackson, who was sitting next to April in the row in front of them, wouldn't hear them.

"We're not together and there's no him!"

"Sage, I'm the dirty mistress, remember? Whatever you're doing can't be any dirtier than what I've done," Meredith pointed out.

"There's no guy," she insisted.

"Sure, Sagie, sure."

"I'm not lying!"

"I believe you."

Sage rolled her eyes at Meredith's tone and went back to her drink, deciding she didn't want to discuss it anymore. A couple minutes later, Jackson brought up his worries that nobody wanted to work with him.

"It's all in your head," Sage said, but secretly she thought he might be right. Jackson had been having some trouble lately, and it was true that he'd blown it with a couple of attending.

"My name isn't on the O.R. Board. I checked the schedule. Nobody wants to work with me, 'cause I'm not on anybody's service," Jackson replied.

"It's an oversight, ok? Just... just ask around," April told him.