⸻ four

season 6, episode 11 - blink

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

     SHE'D HAD MORE than one drink that night a couple of months ago. 3, to be exact but nothing else had happened between the two.

Alex hadn't left her alone about him, whining that she was trying to replace him, even though she had assured him many times that nobody could ever replace him.

She liked Jackson. She didn't like him a lot, but she liked him. He liked football, she liked football, he liked drinking, she liked an occasional drink, and he loved her pies. They'd been spending more and more time together, which was nice except the more time they spent together, the more Alex would complain about 'being left behind'.

Today she was on Derek's service, and he'd paged her down to the ER, claiming he had a present for her.

When she got there, Meredith and Alex were also there to assist Dr. Bailey and Callie. They all quickly put on their yellow trauma gowns before following their attendings outside.

"Chang, you're with me, Meredith, you're with Bailey, and Karev, you're with Torres," Derek told them their assignments as the ambulance came to a stop.

"So, what's my present?" Sage asked Derek quietly. He grinned at her before turning back to the rest of the group.

"Tom Kates is in this ambulance."

"The quarterback?" Sage and Alex asked in unison. Derek smiled even wider as he saw the excitement on Sage's face.

He nodded as she put on her gloves.

"If you see photographers, call security," Callie said, pulling on her own gloves.

" Tell your interns no autographs, no pictures. I see anyone pull out a camera phone, it's going on the toilet," Dr. Bailey told them.

"I'll get you an autograph," Derek murmured to Sage, who looked over the moon.

"So there are three of us on one patient?" Meredith asked as the doors to the ambulance were opened.

"It's Tom Kates," Sage said, bouncing up and down on her heels. "He's not just a patient. He's the patient."

"I thought we agreed to stop meeting like this," Derek said as Tom was unloaded from the ambulance.

"What can I say man?" the quarterback replied, chucking a little. "I missed your smiling face."

"Good to see you," Derek said.

"Head trauma, but G.C.S. 15 since regaining consciousness. He's got high/lowed by a couple of their linebackers dropped like a rock," a paramedic reported as they wheeled Tom to a trauma room.