⸻ nine

season 6, episode 21 - how insensitive

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

      SURE ENOUGH, THE next morning, Sage regretted her decision. Not because she didn't like Jackson, or because the sex was bad, because, if anything, it was really good, but because she had done exactly what she had promised herself not to do.

When she decided to pursue a career in medicine (or more specifically, after a certain someone left her), Sage had promised herself that she wouldn't have any romantic connection with anyone, especially co-workers, until after the boards. Plus, after her last boyfriend, Sage had realized she'd never been good at relationships or love.

 But she had failed and was now lying in her bed, with a naked Jackson Avery asleep next to her. He had an arm wrapped around her waist, her back pressed against his bare chest, and a smile on his face. He looked so peaceful, but her brain was spiraling. She had been so reckless. Sage had always been smart, always done the right thing, but last night was not a good example of that.

She carefully untangled herself from his hold, and sat up, covering her naked body with a blanket. Her mind was racing as she replayed last night's events. When she stood up, she gasped, surprised at how sore she was.

She grabbed her robe and quietly slipped out of the room to go shower. When she got to the bathroom and looked in the mirror, she saw that her neck and chest were covered in hickeys and bite marks. On top of that, her skin was flushed, her eyes had dark circles underneath them, and her hair was a complete mess. She looked like she'd had the best sex of her life, which was kinda true, but no one could know that.

She rolled her eyes and stepped into the shower, trying to wash away the shame and guilt.

"What were you thinking?" she muttered to herself, rubbing shampoo into her hair. "You stupid fucking idiot."

She finished her shower and was drying her hair when there was a knock on the door.

Shit.

"Just a minute!" she called, scrambling to unplug the hair dryer and find her robe to cover the hickeys.

"C'mon, Sagie! I need to shower!" Lexie complained from the other side of the door.

"Just a sec!" she said, finally managing to tie the robe around her body. She opened the door and was met with the beautiful, smiling face of Lexie Grey.

"Hey, what's wrong?" the brunette asked, noticing her friend's change in demeanor.

"Oh, uh, nothing. I'm fine," she lied, flashing her a forced smile. "Just tired." She moved the collar of her robe up to try and hide the bruises on her neck.