Chapter Fifty Nine

Nightfall came quicker than I thought, meaning Archie would have to come clean to his dad about his past relationship with Grundy and being at the scene of the crime during July 4th.

My heart rate picked up at the thought of things going wrong between Archie and his dad although chances were slim. I could tell in Mr. Andrews eyes that he love Archie weigh all his heart.

This made me wonder what happened to Mrs. Andrews. No one ever mentioned about his mother, not even Betty.

I was always wondering whether his mom is in the picture but I was hesitant to ask him about it; afraid that I might actually upset him with the question.

I picked up my guitar from the corner of my room and started playing some light tunes. It's been awhile since I last played my guitar and I've missed playing and humming to my favourite tunes.

My fingers casually strummed on some chords and before I know it, I was humming.

My lips tugged upwards as I recall the memory of performing a duet with Archie. It was my first time performing on stage and it felt like I have accomplished something in my bucket list by conquering my own fears.

Stage fright, anxiety, overthinking and insecurity have always been with me throughout my life. Not knowing how to control them made me feel out of place whenever I was in an unfamiliar situation.

Coming to acceptance that I was built that way had made the journey of self-improvement easier, bit by bit.

The doorbell from downstairs broke me from my little trance. I put my guitar away before getting the door.

I was surprised to see Archie in my doorstep. He was dressed in a black top and a pair of grey joggers, looking good as usual with his disheveled hair.

"I- How did the talk with your dad went?" I asked as I invited him in without question.

He sighed and run his fingers through his hair. I pressed my lips together and prepared for what's to come.

"Disappointment was the understatement of the year. Who am I to blame when all of this is my fault." He laughed bitterly. "If I hadn't initiate to pursue Grundy, maybe none of us would've been in this position right now." 

"Stop blaming yourself, Archie. You're her victim and it's not your fault that you're in this position. She should known better and stopped all of it from happening instead." I tried calming him down as I took his hand and guided him to the couch.

"I don't know anymore. My dad dint take it lightly and he's freaking out as we speak. He's going to take legal actions against Grundy."

"That's good news right? Grundy should be held accountable for what she did."

"I don't want that, Sandra. If she gets involved with the law, I would be caught too because the relationship was consensual."

The distress on his face accompanied by the wavering in his eyes created a tug in my chest. It pained me to see him in this state.

Without hesitation, I grabbed his face in both my palms and grabbed his attention. His cheeks felt warm under my icy hands and his eyes held a look of uncertainty. "Listen to me, everything's going to be okay even though it doesn't seem like it. Mr. Andrews is doing what's best for you in situation like this."

"I'm scared. I don't want to go to jail." He confessed.

I lightly stroked his cheek and gave him a reassuring smile. "I promise you, that will not happen. As per law, you're just a minor and engaging in that relationship with an adult makes them a sexual predator. I really promise you Archie, you will be protected." I reassured.