Chapter Thirty Seven

When we got back to school, we had multiply pairs of eyes staring at us as Mrs Cooper pulled up at the front entrance. It did not need any much guesses to guess that news travelled around the school fast.

The ride back to school was filled with lectures coming from Mrs Cooper—mostly directed to Betty but there was some for me too. I was gnawing at my bottom lip the whole entire time while she was giving us the lectures to the point that it felt sore.

I understand her worry for Betty because I would too if my child was to ditch school and went on a hunt for answers. But the way she was yelling at Betty and vice versa was making me thankful for not experiencing this with my parents because god knows what could happen.

"Don't think about skipping school again, Alessandra because I would not hesitate to call your mom." Mrs Cooper warned as I got out from her car.

I nodded nervously and gave her a small smile.

"And you, Elizabeth Cooper, your dad and I will have a nice chat with you once you're back home." She spoke calmly—well, at least it was clamer that minutes before. That was the last thing she said before she drove off with a frown on her face.

When we stepped foot inside the hallway, it was as if the school was monitoring us because we were summoned to the principal's office through the intercom.

I groaned. "Does Principal Weatherbee knows that we skipped school?"

Betty shrugged. "Probably. I'm sure he found out and called my mom."

"What about my mom?" I asked worriedly. "She would seriously put me in a frying pan and fry me for doing this!" I exclaimed.

"Calm down, Sandra." Betty places her hand on my shoulder. "If that happens, I will be taking the fall. After all, I'm the one that dragged you into this."

We pushed through the crowd to get to the principal's office. Heads definitely turned to us in a bad way as we made our way there. I guess the whole school knew that we got into trouble because the assistant at the front desk were expecting us.

We sat on the chair as we wait for our turned. We were not the only one that had gotten into trouble since the principal was seeing someone else. Jughead joined us soon after beside Betty.

They were engaging in a conversation while I was still worried and overthinking what might happen. Those scenarios of my mom's reaction when she found out and what she would say once I was back home were instantly flashing in the back of my head. It was my nature to overthink something before it happens and then overthink it again when it happens.

I was startled by the principal's door slamming on the wall as it let out a loud boom throughout the whole office. My overthinking thoughts were put to a hold when my eyes met with his dark ones.

My mouth went ajar when I realized what was on his face. He looked pretty beat up with a cut on his lip, multiple cuts on his face and his right eye slightly bruised. What was in front of me was bloody and awful but what was even worse was that the person walking out from the room behind him.

Reggie's face was beaten into a pulp and even from distance, I could tell that his nose might be a little dislocated. I put two and two together and I was hit with the realization that Archie and Reggie were the ones beating each other up.

I stood up from my chair but had to hold onto the glass behind me for support. My legs felt weak for the first time in a while as I stared at the two of them.