Chapter Seven

The smile on my face was gone as soon as I noticed that my parents' car was parked in the garage. It was still early and why were they back home? I'm in deep trouble. I sucked in my breath and unlocked the door; both of them were already sitting on the couch, watching the television.

"Erm, hey, mom and dad. I thought you guys are not coming back till 7?"

"Our shift ended early and I thought you're supposed to be back home an hour ago." My mom said.

A nervous chuckle came out of my mouth. "I, um, I had detention." I said softly.

They were shocked. "How did you land yourself in detention, Sandra?" My dad asked.

"I was late to class."

"Oh, Sandra." My mom sighed. "How could you get yourself into detention on your second day? I thought you were always staying out of trouble."

"Mom." I whined. "It's just a detention alright. It won't happen again."

"It better be. You know, when I was your age, I was never in detention. I was the teachers' pet." My mom said. There she goes. Talking about herself when she's my age.

"Okay, mom I got it. I'm sorry." I said.

"It's okay, sweetheart. We are all humans. We make mistakes." My dad said. I nodded my head.

I excused myself before heading upstairs to get ready for later. Betty texted me the time that we're leaving which was 6 p.m. I showered, washed my hair, blowed my hair and did all those before choosing my outfit. I decided to wear something more casual; a plain white pocket tee with black jeans. I did my usual makeup but I added a nude liquid lipstick on my lip instead of just lip balm. I texted Betty that I was ready and she said she'll be waiting for me outside my porch. I wore my converse and grabbed my phone before heading downstairs.

"Mom, dad, I'm heading out with my friends." I announced.

"Okay but be back by ten." My mom said.

"Okay." I grinned, running to kiss my mom on the cheek. Considering I was in detention for the first time, I'm relived that my parents didn't decide to ground me and instead, they allowed me to go hangout.

"And Sandra," my dad said softly, grabbing my hand gently. "I'm happy that you made new friends." He smiled.

I smiled back. "Yeah, me too." I stepped out of the house and Betty was already waiting for me.

"Let's go!" Betty giggled and dragged me to her car. The car ride was filled with throwback songs that blasted at the right volume.

"So, tell me something about yourself, Sandra." Betty said, after awhile.

"There's nothing much to say about myself." I muttered, looking out to the slightly dark sky.

"I'm sure there is something." Betty chuckled.

"Let me think." I basically don't know how to describe myself and don't really know anything about myself. I'm blank as a sheet of paper. "I'm a Virgo."

"When?"

"That's a secret I won't tell." I joked, already feeling my grin grew wider.

"Aww what! I'm already excited when your birthday's here." Betty exclaimed.

"Another thing about me, I've stopped celebrating my birthday ever since I was eleven." My childhood was pretty messed up in my opinion. I didn't lived like a normal child should. That's my own fault to blame.