14. Embarrasing and awkward.

"So, this is your room? It's a little...plain," Enid shrugged and put her backpack down so it was leaning against the wall.

She was right, Eliza's room was really boring. But she hadn't had much time to decorate, she'd only been awake for two or three days. It was just a wooden bed and dull blue walls with Eliza's clothes in the wooden closet.

"Yeah," Eliza shrugged with a nervous laugh. "I guess so, I'll decorate it when I find some time," she nodded and reached her hand over, rolling down her sleeve covering her left arm. Everything was more embarrassing with another teenager around.

"Okay," Enid sat down on her bed. "I don't know why your dad did this, it's kinda awkward."

Eliza nodded slowly, then shook her head. Abraham wasn't her dad. Why the hell was she agreeing? "Abraham isn't my dad."

"Oh, I thought he was. Kind of acts like it," Enid said while she looked out of the window.

No, he doesn't. Eliza wanted to think to herself.

"Yeah, sure," she sat down across from Enid and leaned back against the headboard of her bed.

There was a few moments of silence and both of them just looking around the room or at their nails before Enid spoke up again. Thank god Enid was asking questions, because Eliza didn't have a clue of what to say.

"How long were you out there for?"

Eliza sat up a little bit. "Couple of years. I lost my dad a while back, then Abraham and Rosita found me and took me with them."

"How'd you survive that long?"

Eliza furrowed her eyebrows. She didn't really know, probably just pure luck. "I don't know. Just did."

Eliza could see Enid looking at her arm, she probably wanted to ask about it but didn't want to be rude. "You can ask about it, I don't care."

"How did it, um...happen?"

"I got bit and Rick cut it off, I don't remember much of it," Eliza really couldn't remember much of that day. She was talking to Abraham, then she crossed a bridge, then it's all fuzzy. Sure, she knew she got bit, she just didn't know how.

🦋

Hours of small talk. Eliza wanted to sink into the ground and never re-emerge. It was just as awkward as Eliza had imagined it would be.

Now, they were both just sat on the bed pulling at the strings on the blanket, wishing this night could just be over already. Eliza almost rolled her eyes when she saw that it was only 8:30pm, it wasn't that she didn't like Enid, she was fine with Enid, she just didn't like the awkwardness.

"We could bake some cookies-" Enid began, but Eliza quickly shut that idea down.

"No," she snapped, making Enid furrow her eyebrows. "I mean, we don't have the stuff to make them. And I don't want to wake Abraham or Rosita up, they might be asleep or something."

Enid nodded slowly for a minute. "Oh, okay. So...what should we do?"

Eliza shrugged and looked down at her hand, trying to crack her fingers with her thumb and feeling that same old awkwardness rise to her face again.

"Caleb has some alcohol," Enid shrugged, making Eliza furrow her eyebrows.

"What does that have to do with us?" Eliza asked, she was fourteen, she wasn't planning on just getting drunk.