24. So much blood.

Eliza walked down the stairs the next morning. She had stayed the entire night in Rosita's room, comforting her when she'd get upset. It was understandable. Eliza didn't know the feeling, but she thought it would be similar to how she felt when her parents split up.

"Okay," Eliza said to Caleb and Toby. "From now on, there is no mention of Abraham to Rosita. You got that? Zero."

Caleb nodded and then turned to Toby, putting Eliza's words into sign language for him.

It really annoyed Eliza that she couldn't communicate with Toby in a way that was convenient for him. She could only sign certain things with one hand, but she always felt bad that it was more difficult for Toby when they'd talk. She'd usually have to write on a notebook or a piece of paper.

"I'm gonna go see him. Talk some sense into his dense skull," Eliza said, kicking the side of the counter. She felt the same as she did when she was seven, having her parents argue and then crying on one of the benches at soccer practice.

"Hey," Caleb grabbed her upper arm, "are you okay?"

"Yeah," Eliza nodded immediately. She couldn't make this about her. It was about Rosita and Abraham. There was everyone's bags on the couch. For obvious reasons, Toby had to stay back from going to the outpost.

Eliza had decided she wanted to be there, just in case she could stop everything.

"Okay," Caleb nodded. Eliza nodded back and then walked out of the front door, seeing Abraham pack up the RV with other people's things.

She started to walk down the porch steps. "Hey, asshole!"

Abraham turned around, giving Eliza a slight smile and then leaning against the side of the RV. "You sure have a way with words."

Eliza stood on her tiptoes right in front of Abraham, trying to get to eye level with him even though that was impossible for her, but she wasn't that far off, she wasn't short.

"By tonight, I want a hand written apology note posted through that door," she pointed back at the house. "Is that understood?"

Abraham chuckled and held up his hands in a mock surrender. "Yes, ma'am."

"Good," Eliza replied and then looked down, sighing. "I hate being mad at either of you. I don't wanna argue."

Abraham took Eliza's backpack off her shoulder and put it into the storage compartment of the RV. "You just walked out of your house hollering that I'm an asshole."

"Yeah, well," Eliza started, trying to prove her point, but she couldn't think of how to finish her sentence. "Shut up."

🦋

So, everyone got into their cars and headed off. Eliza was the only kid that went, but she couldn't not go. She needed to know. They had travelled for hours, stopping and starting again, sometimes for fairly long periods of time. Rick had beaten some decapitated heads in to look like this guy called Gregory while Eliza watched with a horrified expression.

Now, they were pulling up to a tall, white building. Eliza was in the RV, which was parked around the corner.

"Eli," Abraham whispered, looking out of the window. Eliza looked over at him and then walked over, leaning down next to him. "You can't come in there with us."

"What?" Eliza tried to sound quiet, but she couldn't help taking her volume up just a touch. "Why not? I need to know-"

Abraham shook his head and put his hand on her shoulder. "It ain't worth you worrying about it. What if he is a shit person now? You really wanna have that on your shoulders?"