Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Groaning, I open my eyes long enough only to wince and shut them tightly, hiding my head under a soft plush pillow as a migraine wrecks my brain. Just what happened to me after the Palace Guard saved me? I wonder, allowing my body to sink deeper into what ever I lay on. The air feels clean and fresh as I took a deep breath and my body relaxed and warm.

Bolting up at the realization that this is not my prison cell, I wince again and regret the sudden movements. My head feels like an ax is splitting it in two, the only memory I have being that I passed out after seeing the insignia on the Palace Guard's blazer. From there I had dreams, or were they nightmares, the flew past my mind like a blur of colours that I could barely see. With a groan I shut my eyes and run my fingers through my messy hair before massaging my temples, hoping to relieve the pressure.

"Where the hell am I?" I whisper, trying to piece together what happened after passing out. Deciding I need to take a look around, I take a deep breath and open my eyes, wincing and squinting when the bright light causes more pain to my already throbbing head. After adjusting to the light, I am finally able to open my eyes fully to take in the room.

I sit upon a large canopy bed -my guess is a king size frame and mattress- that is comfortable and soft. Large fluffy pillows are behind me, the scent of mint and vanilla wafting from them, calming my slightly racing heart. I've always loved those two scents mixed together.

Across from me is the source of the light, two large floor to ceiling windows only separated by columns that support the open double glass doors, fresh air filtering in from outside. There is no musty and damp scent that I have grown used too, only the scent of winter snow on the wind that is crisp. Thank God for the large fluffy duvet that covers me or I would be freezing right now.

Curtains on either ends of the windows are held open by a rope, allowing the sunlight to stream in and be the cause for worsening the migraine that I wish would just go away. It seems that the double doors lead to a balcony that is kept clean of snow and for some reason I feel the urge to curl up outside with a cup of hot chocolate and relax.

Looking away from the window, my gaze travels to the right where I notice a study area. A desk is situated in the corner against the cream and gold wall with a book shelf directly beside that. Infront of the desk is a small sitting area with a glass coffee table and four arm chairs. It looks like the perfect place to study or read a book. Continuing my gaze, I notice that between the first book shelf and the one closes to the bed is a large fireplace, a fire already crackling inside it and explaining why the room is so warm even with the doors open. In front of the fire place is a set of couches and lounges face the large grey brick centerpiece of the room, a flat screen television mounted just above it. Then we come to beside the bed, another thin flour to ceiling window letting in more light.

After examining the right side, I begin to explore the left. Beside me is an open door, one that leads to the bathroom by what I can see from my spot on the bed. Beside that is a vanity made of gold and something white - maybe marble – with a large jewelry box on the right of the vanity and some make up brushes and bottles on the left. I have the feeling that if I were to open the drawers I will find make up and jewelry. To the right of the vanity is another door, one that peaks my curiosity but I will have to explore it later.

Finally at the very end beside the first set of floor to ceiling windows is a set of double doors, these one made of what I assume to be solid wood. As if my staring called him, these doors open and in walks in the Palace Guard from yesterday.

"Glad to see you are awake." He greets, a large smile splitting his face and bringing a childish air to him. I smile back, motioning to the room I am in before opening my mouth.