Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"Alli veggies do not go into a mac and cheese." Looking up from cutting the red bell peppers in front of me, I roll my eyes as Sky glares at the small amount of vegetables in front of my cutting bored. You would think I just said I killed a puppy with how he is looking at the bell peppers.

"Mine does. You need something to counter the meat and copious amounts of cheese." Returning to chopping the bell peppers, I make sure to keep them small.

"Wait there is going to be meat in it?" Stopping my cutting once again, I look up at Sky who raises his hands in surrender. I guess he finally took the hint he is starting to annoy me. Around us the chefs and cooks are chuckling, leaving Sky and I in the small corner while they prepare meals for the rest of the Palace staff.

"Yes. So grab the pack of ground beef in the fridge and start cooking it off. Make sure to strain the fat when its done so the mac and cheese isn't too greasy." Ordering Sky about, I return to finishing my task at hand. Some of the Cooks watch on, one coming to question why I am saving the seeds to the bell peppers instead of throwing them out. After explaining that we can grow more vegetables with the seeds, the Cook runs off excitedly to tell the head Chef.

"So you want us to save the seeds of vegetables and fruits if we can?" Looking up at the new voice, I notice a man with gray hair under a chef hat standing on the opposite side of my table.

"Yes please. I believe it will be good for our kitchen staff to learn how to grow our produce so that there is less waste." Answering his question, I finish dicing the vegetables and place them inside of a clean bowl before setting my knife down.

"Good. I was trained in knowing where our food comes from and being able to grow some of our own will cut down food costs in the kitchen. You think the head Gardener will help set some land aside close to the kitchen to grow some vegetables?" Smiling at his enthusiasm, I instantly agree that lowering food costs with so many to feed will be helpful and mention the farm land next to the Palace. The Chef, Theon, helps me find a pot as I set about getting the noodles ready to boil. We talk about adding a fruit trees into the gardens closest to the Kitchen and what vegetables will be perfect to plant for our use.

"Talk to Thorin BlackHawk when you get a chance. He is the Head Gardener and can help set about creating a vegetable garden and hire people to take care of them with the Kitchen staff." I mention to Theon, as I pour a healthy amount of salt into the pot of water, Sky bringing the now cooked and strained ground beef over.

"Why did you add salt to the water?" He asks, setting the bowl on the counter as Theon is called away to help with a dish.

"It helps to heat the water and flavour the noodles." Rolling my eyes, I turn away from the pot to focus on grating cheese, Sky deciding to find another grater and help get the task done faster.

"That seems redundant and stupid." He shrugs, taking a chunk of cheese and popping it into his mouth.

"To those who don't cook, it seems stupid. To those that can cook, it is magic. Add the noodles when the water boils." After my explanation, I gather all the cheese into a bowl and find another pot, setting about making a thick cheese sauce. Sky watches me, his gaze following my every movement with interest from pouring milk into the pot to slowly adding the cheese once it boils. Reminding him to keep an eye on the past once he pours it in, we make quick work of finishing the mac and cheese. After a placing it into the over to bake for a bit, I start the clean up process.

"You really do seem to know what you are doing in a kitchen." Sky muses, drying the dishes as I wash them.

"To be honest with you, I was going to leave Zalaris and find a small town to move to. Maybe even open up a small restaurant." I admit, a soft smile taking over my face as I think about my plans for leaving the Capitol.