Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Standing in front of the familiar wooden door with the paint chipping and pealing away, my hand is raised to knock, to let Liz and Ron know I am home, but the nerves inside me causes me to hesitate.

"You going to knock?" Sky asks, concern lacing his voice.

"Eventually" He sighs at my answer and steps beside me, knocking on the door. Instinct tells me to run and hide, but a strong grip on my wrist keeps me in place as Sky gives me a helpless sigh. I know he is doing this for my own good, but I don't think I am ready to face Ron and Liz. A muffled shuffle coming from the other side of the door tells me it is to late to back down now and in seconds the door is pulled open, Liz's smiling face morphing into one of shock.

"Allison?" Her voice cracks as tears slowly make their way down her wrinkled face before her surprisingly strong arms pull me into her for a hug. She smells like cinnamon and in moments my own tears fall from my eyes and I return her hug.

"Ron, come here" She calls out when our hug ends, holding me at arms length.

"Why? Is it the delivery guy." Laughing at the absurd answer, Liz rolls her eyes and mouths men to me. It's like no time has passed and I am glad she still treats me the same as always.

"Just get here now." The clicking of Ron's can on the old hard wood floor makes me fidget. I have no idea how Ron will react when he sees me after watching the Police arrest me months ago.

"Allison?" The clicking stops and I look past Liz's shoulder to see Ron staring at me, his own wrinkled face filled with shock and relief. There is no anger or pity, jut relief to see me standing before them alive and well.

"Hi." My voice cracks as he makes his was towards us, his arms pulling Liz and I into his embrace. Their warmth is familiar, one I have grown to love the last twelve years. These two are the grandparents I grew up to love. Maybe I can convince these two to move into the Palace with me.

"Um...should I go?" Ron pulls away as Sky awkwardly calls out. The two men stare at one another and I realize that I have a lot to explain to Ron and Liz. One of these being Sky who stands on their front porch wearing the Captain of the Guards jacket over his casual clothes.

"Alli is he your?" Ron begins asking, making me blush and quickly want to explain my situation.

"No Ron its not like that." I begin, getting a quizzical look from Sky.

"Sky here is my friend and captain of my Guards." The elderly couple stare at me with an unamused look, reminding me of the time I lied to them about where I got the money to help Ron get his cane. They were disappointed that I had learned to steal from one of the Slum Lords but understood that there was only so much help they can provide me. That was when I explained that in order to survive, I needed to steal. I promised to only steal from the corrupt and rich and would be as safe as I can when going on a heist.

"Okay Allison, no more pranks. He isn't your guard." Liz chastises me like a child, making me sigh and look to Sky for help.

"Actually I am, and this is Princess Allisara." Relieved when he answers, Sky steps forward and takes out his new identity badge from his pocket allowing Ron and Liz to hold and examine it. Ron looks from me to the badge and then to sky before taking a deep breath. I have a feeling this is going to be a long talk.

"How about we head inside and out of the cold. You can explain everything us over some tea and snacks." Handing back Sky his badge, Liz takes my hand and leads me into the house with the men following behind us. It feels as if another weight has been lifted off my shoulder as I am led into the living room where I quickly claim my favourite armchair. Sky finds a comfortable spot on the love seat as Liz takes her time busying herself in the small adjacent kitchen. Soon, we are all sat around the coffee table filled with snacks and a mug of hot tea in our hands.

"So tell us how all this happened." Impatience lacing his voice, Ron motions for me to start explaining what has happened since the last time they saw me, and I oblige.

After some time of telling Ron and Liz everything I have been through since being arrested, my mouth feel dry and knowing that Liz keeps a stocked fridge I make my way to the kitchen and grab a glass of milk. I know everything is a lot to take in and so I decide to just dunk a chocolate chip cookie into the milk while I wait for Ron and Liz to start their questions.

"So you really are the long lost Princess." Liz whispers out, her hands wringing the faded pink handkerchief.

"Yes. It feels surreal to me as up until a few days ago, I had no memories before age six. But lately they have been coming back." Finishing the cookie, I look down at the nearly empty glass of milk in my hands and sigh.

"Technology these days can do anything Alli, maybe your memories were meant to be sealed away until a specific time." Being reassured by Ron, I accept the cookie he hands to me and instantly shove it into my mouth, getting a chuckle from Ron and a disapproving sigh from Liz.

"At least you haven't changed missy." She mock scolds, causing Sky to laugh

"Why would I Liz? I like being me." This got a warm smile from her.

"So I take it that her table manners has always been like this?" Sky chimes in as he swipes the last Danish from the table, making me roll my eyes at him.

"Unfortunately, yes. Hopefully now that she is a Princess, she can learn to eat more civilized." Liz answers, making Ron and I look at each other in amusement. We both know that that will never happen.

"Liz, do you need help cooking dinner?" Doing my best to change the subject, I notice the time on the grandfather clock and take this opportunity to point out their dinner time is fast approaching and with the growling of Ron's stomach emphasizing my words, Liz hurriedly stands from the sofa she shares with her husband and beckons me to join her. In moments, the two of us have whipped up some fried pork cutlets and a salad, Liz surprising me with the fact she had many fresh vegetables available.

"I won some money on a lottery ticket." She explains. I guess she saw my surprised look. The idea of asking them to move into the Palace with me comes up over dinner, but the two refuse, stating they love their quiet little home. Deciding not to push them, I give up on asking them but let the two know that they can come and live there any time they want. All they need to do is call the Palace and Sky will come with a few men to help Ron and Liz move. With dinner done, Sky helped to clean the dishes, Ron teasing me quietly about Sky being husband material that leaves me blushing.

"You make sure to come visit us." Ron states as he and Liz walk Sky and I to the front door.

"I will, on the condition you allow me to bring you some money to help." I state, Liz giving me a sigh.

"Fine. I know you'll worry about us Alli, so we will accept your help." She agrees, making me smile. I hug the two tightly with Sky watching from the bottom steps of the porch before saying my farewells once more. The elderly couple watch as we walk towards the hummer, waving goodbye to us as we drive away.

"We can come back in a few days if you'd like."

"I know Sky. Thanks for today."