Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Staring down at all the men standing in front of the stage, I notice the divide between the Guards that have sworn their loyalty to me versus those that are still loyal to Juden. Inwardly sighing, I look to Sky and Arian who stand in front of the stage facing the men before I look down to the list of names in my hand that Arian gave to me before we entered the Dining Hall.

"You all probably know why you are here." I begin, looking each and every man in the eyes.

"As stated, it has been three days since I announced that I expect loyalty from my men. Many of you have bent the knee - including all of the Squires - but there is a small group who still refused to do so." My eyes move to those loyal to the Trilavantas, many looking at me with distain while others look uninterested. Unfortunately for them, many will be imprisoned for their crimes that Arian and his men have uncovered.

"When your name is called, step forward." I order, lifting the list to chest level for the men to see. Those who held distain fidget. Good. Unfortunately for them, it is too late.

"Mikael. Stephen. Gortle. Dewey..." I continue calling out the names, watching as twenty of the men step forward. Each one stare at me in fear, making me smirk.

"Each one of you were closest to Demitrias and Juden Trilavantas. Each of you have gained many benefits – benefits that were caused by treason and fear." Sky motions to those loyal to me and forty men move at once taking hold of these twenty traitors before they could try to run.

"You will all be sent to the dungeons for questioning. Take them away." These men are dragged out, pleading and begging, their pleas falling on deaf ears.

"The rest of you I have a feeling you will not bend the knee, and that is your choice." The unease their eyes from seeing their colleges dragged away disappear, making me smile slightly.

"So I will offer you a chance as none of you have committed any crimes. If you promise to be loyal not to me but to the good of the people, then I will allow you to choose which army squadron you want to serve under. If you wish to return to a civilian lifestyle, then I will have Sky and Arian write letters of recommendations for you." Shock crosses their faces at my offer, one I know must seem too good to be true. The men begin to discus this amongst each other quietly, and I allow it. They had until today to bend the knee, to change sides and become loyal to me. Now they only have these two options left.

"Excuse me, your Highness, but if we choose either of these options will we be monitored?" A man steps forward with his hand raised. It is a good question, one that impresses me.

"Depends. If you stay on the path of being righteous and maintain neutrality, then no. The moment any trace of you turning traitor to this country, then I will have your ass in the dungeons with the other traitors." I don't sugar coat anything and let my words sink into these men. I will not tolerate any traitors in my country. I already have one I thought as my uncle sitting in a cell deep in the dungeon.

"You can come to Sky or Arian with your answer, but I will need to know what you each decide by the end of today." With that, I walk down the stage and hand the list back to Arian before Sky and I leave the Dinning Hall. As much as I want to eat with my Guards, I know it will be awkward until I know all my men are loyal to me. I need some fresh air, no matter how cold that air is, and so I make my way towards the sun room that takes us to the Royal Garden. Once outside, I take a deep breath and lean against the wall. Sky stands beside me, his eyes scanning the garden until a smile lights up his face. Looking in the direction he is staring at, I see a man working with a team, their skilled hands removing the dead branches and leaves before adding some mulch.

"Go say hi to him." Bumping my shoulder into his, I encourage Sky to go to his father. He hesitates, looking back at me but I shoo him away. Watching the two hug, brings a pang to my chest as I think about my own parents. Parents that were stolen from me in the rebellion. I need to visit their graves again but I am scared.

"Dad says hi. He likes his new pay raise too." Lost in thought, I jump at Sky's voice.

"He...he deserves it." Shrugging, I turn and walk into the sun room, the cold winter air becoming a little too unbearable to stand in. Deciding I should get some work done. I ask Sky if he can find Ellisia to bring us lunch while I make my way towards my office. I am almost done combing through the laws created in the last fourteen years. Hopefully I can finish it today and call a meeting with my Cabinet to work on abolishing and creating better laws that will push Nimairene forward.