Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Some one help me!" Pressing myself against the sturdy tree, I find the nearest branch and use it to swing at the wild dogs. Their barking and howling fill the air and their sharp teeth snap towards me, dripping with saliva. If help doesn't come soon, I will be their dinner.

"I'm coming!" A boyish voice calls out, over the sound of the dogs. I do my best to fend off the dogs until someone fights his way through the horde, slicing away until he reaches my side. He shields my small body from the wild dogs, his sword swinging and slicing as they lunge at us. I try to see who it is that saved me but his face if blurred, as if my mind isn't ready to let me see my savior.

"Are you okay, Princess Allisara?" I nod yes when he looks at me, doing my best to keep my tears from falling. I don't want this boy seeing me cry.

"Take my hand then. When I give the signal, we run." He instructs me, his right hand stretching out behind him as he stabs at a lunging wild dog, killing it before our eyes. I reach for it; my small hand being grasped in his.

"Now!" With another swing of his sword, he fends off a smaller wild dog giving us an opening. We run, weaving through trees and bushes. I know I am slowing the boy down as he is older than me, but he keeps pace with me and helps me when I trip. The wild dogs are hot on our trails but gun fire sounds and the tips of the tents come into view.

My parents are there, standing with the Palace Guards and I release the boy's hand, my little legs racing into my mother's outstretched arms where I finally cry.

"My little Princess, you were so brave..."

I jolt awake throwing what ever was covering me off as I look around the room, disoriented from the dream. No, not a dream.

"A memory." I whisper sadly, running a hand through my messy hair. Early morning light filters through the windows, making me smile as I look around the Library. It is peaceful here. Quiet. I know with my love of reading I will find myself here many times as my escape while I get used to the idea of being a Princess.

Looking around the room, I find the book I was reading set aside and smile, Sky must have moved it for me. I smile, thinking about the dream and wondering if Sky might know the boy that saved me. I know that I will eventually remember him, but I hat to know that I had a friend who took care of me and I sadly do not remember him.

The sound of what I can only describe as a chain saw causes me to jump and search the room for the source. When it sounds again, I realize that Sky is sleeping across from me and with his mouth slightly open. The sound comes again and I burst out laughing, realizing that the sound is Sky snoring.

"What's so funny?" His groggy question causes me to laugh harder as the sounds I make wake him.

"You snoring." I say through laughter, wiping my eyes as tears slip bye.

"You look so peaceful and cute although you sound like a chain saw."

"I am not cute; I am manly and brave." He mock gasps, pretending to clutch as non-existent pearls. Any attempt at calming down my laughter is gone as his action causes me into a laughing fit. He just rolls his eyes and throws a pillow at me.

"So what are we doing today Alli?" Rolling his eyes at me, Sky pulls out a water bottle from a basket I did not know he had as my laughter comes to an end and throws it at me. Happy for my quick reflexes, I catch the bottle with ease and take a long drink from it.

"We need to evict all of Trilavantas' men." I sigh out, looking towards the window and catching a glimpse of snow falling. Today is the promised day, if the rest of the men loyal to Juden do not bend the knee to me today, they will be sent away.