Chapter 5

Georgie giggled. "Baby girl? You liar."

"Oi! I didn't! They'll just assume I speak from experience. Let 'em talk." With a sneaky look at her, he couldn't help himself and added, "Plus, you look like you'd be phenomenal."

Georgie choked on air. "Jacob! Ew!" She smiled at his familiar booming laugh.

"Chill out. Jeepers. What've you been up to anyways? You look beat."

"Hmm? Me? The usual."

"Breaking hearts and stirring shit up?"

Georgie tugged her hand out of his arm, and frowned. "What? Of course not! I'm very clear about...it's not nearly as bad...as...as they make it - I just...no. No. Why on earth am I justifying myself to you? I don't need to justify this to anyone."

"No need to be so defensive Gee. I know you."

"And how is it fair for men to do the same thing, and when I do it? Well then I'm a heartless bitch-whore. The hypocrisy makes me sick."

"I'm not judging you, sweet pea."

"I know," she sighed. "One of the many reasons I love you. Shall we dance?"

"We shall," he mocked. Jaycob started to hum the famous tune from the King and I as they began the familiar waltz, and she giggled again.

"I just love dancing with you, Jay," she said after awhile. She was smiling sleepily up at him. "So deliciously muscled." She gave his bicep a squeeze with a giggle.

"That champagne has gone straight to your little head. Always was a lightweight," he smirked. "Wanna get out of here and grab a pizza?"

"Oh my god yes," she moaned. "And then a movie marathon for old times sake?" she asked hopefully.

"Definitely. This party is totally lame." With that conspiratorial whisper from him, and another giggle from her (she was definitely a little tipsy), they left.

*

He leant back into the couch with a satisfied pat to his belly. "Damn I've missed good pizza."

"And Mario's makes the best. So you're back for good?"

"Yeaap," he paused to burp and Georgie scrunched her nose at him. "Tour's ended; and I've been discharged."

"Is that a good thing?" She was hesitant because she knew just how much he loved the air force - it'd been a massive part of his adult life.

"Think so. D' you?"

"I get to see more of you, so of course I think it's wonderful," she replied. "I've missed you so much."

"Eight years 's a long time."

"An eternity," she hummed. Her tipsiness had worn off now, and she was just left with tiredness. "Any idea what you want to do now?"

"As a job? I'm technically a mechanic by trade, so I'll find a garage somewhere and apply I guess."

She sat up a little straighter as a thought occurred to her. "Jay, what were you even doing at Mr Ellinghams?"

"I called your office - a lovely lady, answered. Chantal, maybe? She said you were out, and must've picked that I was desperate to see ya, cause she told me where you were - and told me to dress fancy. The bouncer let me in when I said I was meetin' ya. Probably shouldn't have, but I ain't complaining - you've the best surprise face on the planet."

"It was a wonderful surprise. I had to stop myself from crying."

"Oh please, I saw those tears. And others," he said carefully. "Gee, what actually happened before I showed up?"