Chapter 19

For alicearreh and WildestDayDreams.
----

The door swung open, and Charlotte's greeting turned sour when she saw Jaycob leaning against the frame.

"Howdy Sharon," he grinned. "Whassup babe! Here to see me?"

"Oh fuck off fucker," she brushed passed him. "Where's Georgiana?"

"Out."

"I thought you'd left. Do you have a key or something?" she accused.

"Still got the spare."

"Why?"

"Because reasons. Can I take a message and can you get out of here?"

She narrowed her eyes at him for a beat, then flipped her hair and strutted over to make herself comfortable on the couch. "Nope. I've always been welcome in this house, and you aren't going to change that – so you can just suck it up or get on your bike and piss off."

He laughed in her face and she bristled. "And if I ask nicely?"

"Still no!" she squeaked. "It's a matter of principle!"

He sprawled obnoxiously on the couch opposite her; arms draped and legs spread wide. "So... you'd sit here, with someone ya clearly don't like, for...your principles? I don't think so, love. Nah. You're doing it to spite me."

"Oh please," she scoffed. "I couldn't care less about you."

"Well clearly you could 'cause you're doing this to spite me."

"Don't patronize me! Clearly principles are something a shady fucker like you wouldn't understand!"

He grinned at her: she was so fun. "You hardly know me," he countered calmly.

"I know enough to know I don't like you."

"Sheesh woman," Jaycob snickered. "Sheath those claws."

"No," she snapped. "Fuckin' make me." Charly soon realised her mistake when he leant forward slowly and his grin turned lascivious. She blushed and flipped him off firmly, lips pursed in sassiness. He one-upped her gesture by propping his fists on his knees and sticking both fingers up at her in return.

So they both sat there, and the flip-off-stare-down continued until Charly became uncomfortable under his gaze and felt her cheeks redden to the point of being embarrassing. Thankfully they were interrupted as Georgie walked through front door and the two breathed out in relief.

"Where the hell were you?" Charly demanded. "I've been waiting here with him." The way she said it made it seem like he was the most offensive person she'd ever encountered and she couldn't imagine anything more horrible than sharing a space with him.

"I went for a run," Georgie supplied simply.

This was so shocking that Jaycob forgot to sulk. "A run? As in running?"

"Is there any other type of run?" Georgie studiously disregarded their looks, and pottered around the kitchen getting a glass of water.

"But you hate running," he said.

"Maybe I changed my mind – sorry if that scares you. Am I not allowed to do that Jaycob?" She stared at him in challenge, and all he could do was blink back uncomprehendingly. "I'm going to take a shower," she muttered and walked out.

Jaycob turned to Charlotte and mouthed, "What. The. Fuck."

She stood calmly, and wandered into the kitchen to get herself a glass of water too. "Oh, you don't know?" she said smugly. " Of course you don't. Men."

Jaycob leapt after her and leant across the bench, "What? Know what?"

"There's a boy on the scene and she's in a tizzy," her satisfied smile radiated superiority. "A man actually- a real man."

He ignored her petty jab and demanded an answer. "Who."

"A tall hot hunk of chef-man," she smirked at him. "And he's not like, super muscly either – he's like, perfectly in proportion."

"Bloody hell woman – I'm not a freakin gym rat. Can I please just get a damn name?"

"Lincoln. Lincoln Holt."

"Oh. Him?" His face cleared. "Of course - dinner dude. The one who insulted you and ruined a business meeting?"

"He didn't insult me – not really. But yeah, that's him."

"Huh. Well is he nice?"

"Um...I think so," she said.

"What do you mean you think so?"

"You're the one who shared a meal with him! I don't know him well enough, okay?"

"Not okay! This is a big deal. What do you know about him?"

"He's blonde? Likes to cook. Has a little sister," he nodded in approval at that and Charly rolled her eyes.

"What else?" he said impatiently.

"Look, I know that he likes George – like, really likes her – and that's enough for me actually."

He sat down reluctantly. "Not as much info as I'd like, but we'll have to work with that, won't we? I'd like to have a chat with this fellow."

"Not advisable; she'd murder you."

Jaycob grunted something unintelligible in response and said, "so...why the running?"

"Stress response, coping mechanism, who the hell knows. But she's seen him three times this week, and four times the last and she's been running every day. Sometimes twice a day."

His eyes bugged out of his head. "Christ that's bleak. I go AWOL for two weeks to sort my life out and she takes up running."

"I know. It's awful."

"Have you spoken to her about this? What's she saying?"

She rolled her eyes again. "You know Georgie – she doesn't talk about this stuff."

"Well has she said if she likes him?"

"No. But her behaviour would indicate so, don't you think?"

"Yep yep yep," he nodded thoughtfully, oblivious to her extreme sass level. "Very true. Very positive."

"Not positive! It's a trainwreck waiting to happen."

"Way to be optimistic woman."

"Stop calling me woman," she snapped. "And someone needs to be realistic here."

"Well excuse me for being hopeful," he protested.

"Just don't open your fat mouth and say something stupid to her okay? You'll fuck it up. She's really fragile at the moment– she's only just getting by with denial and ignoring her feelings; I don't think she's ready to admit this. At all."

He sighed and shook his head, "those bastards did a real number on her, didn't they? Some fucking parents they were. You think she likes this guy though?"

"I do. But getting her to admit it to herself is another thing entirely."

"Bloody hell- what a mess."

Charlotte nodded; finally something they could both agree on. "It'll be fine," she said. "She'll be fine."

He didn't know who she was trying to reassure...but it wasn't reassuring him.