Chapter 20

The phone on her desk rang, and Georgie picked it up with exhaustion. "Georgiana Abel speaking," she said flatly.

"Hey."

"Hi," she smiled, slumping back into her chair with a tired sigh.

"Everything okay?" he asked in concern. "You sound exhausted George."

"Yeah. Shit day at work. Everything that could possibly go wrong, has."

She knew he was frowning when he said, "glad I called then. Want to get out of there?"

"Please." She closed her eyes. "I need a distraction."

"I'll be outside your building in ten."

"Okay." Thank you. Ten minutes later she stood on the curb, sunglasses on, and was surprised when a throat cleared next to her. "Lincoln," she said in surprise.

"Hey," and he kissed her cheek gently.

"I was expecting your car to pull up."

"It's such a beautiful day I thought we could walk. There's this fabulous little hole-in-the-wall lunch spot five minutes from here."

"Another basement?" she questioned cheekily.

"....define basement?"

She laughed, and they began their leisurely walk to lunch. Their fingers occasionally brushed against each other, but neither of them moved away.

They'd only been walking for two minutes when Georgiana stopped and grabbed the cuff of his shirt desperately.

"What?" her eyes were hidden from him behind her bug-eyed glasses, but he became quite alarmed at the stiffness of her posture. "Georgie? What is it?" Before he could reach out to reassure her, she stepped away from him, and a woman stopped in front of them.

"Georgiana! It's been so long since you've dropped by. It's like you up and moved countries!"

"Sorry, I've been busy mum."

Mum?

"Too busy for your mother? Come here and give me a hug, what's wrong with you honey?" And the woman pulled a rigid Georgie in for a hug. "And who's this man Georgie? We haven't been introduced; please excuse her poor manners," she said to Lincoln.

He held out his hand, "My name is Lincoln. It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs Abel." He realized his mistake too late when Georgie flinched.

"It's Ms. Calvet actually," the woman corrected.

"Pardon me," Lincoln flushed. "I apologise Ms. Calver- Calvet!"

She waved him off airily. "Are who are you to my daughter? A boyfriend?"

"Um. A friend," he said shortly. He glanced at Georgie to gage her reaction, but her face was turned down and she gave nothing away.

"Well Georgie I can't say I'm not disappointed. I hoped you would have settled by now, this carry on is getting ridiculous. Don't look at me like that honey; I only say this because I love you - you know I love you.  What am I supposed to say when people ask about you? Frankly I find it a bit selfish." The more the woman talked, the smaller Georgie became. It was like she was shrinking in front of him. "Have you heard from your father?"

"Not since Christmas."

Ms. Calvet sniffed. "Unsurprising. The man has some nerve – honestly his behavious is dis-"

"Mum. Please."

"Goodness, fine! No need to be sensitive. You're embarrassing yourself in front of your friend. I'm at home tonight because Mrs Leed cancelled on me, so if you can find time for me it would be nice if you popped around. I've got some paperwork I'd like to cast an eye over anyway. I'm late for my lunch appointment with Charles, so I'll see you then. Goodbye Lincoln, bye honey."