Chapter 24

Sorry to keep you all waiting. Exams are now done, so I've been on a writing spree – no promises about schedule though (bc I couldn't keep the last ones). Thank you for being patient, and I hope you enjoy!

xx

-----

Georgie wandered out of the bathroom in her fluffy robe, and stopped in the doorway to see her kitchen completely overtaken by mess. "Jees Jay what're you doing?" There were at least five dirty pans and a few boards in the sink, a puddle on the wooden flooring, sauce smeared across the splash-back, and a pot on the stove that was boiling over – spitting hissing bubbles everywhere. 

"Making dinner," he huffed.

"It's pasta!" she laughed. "Are you making it from scratch or something?"

At that moment, the front door opened and Charlotte walked into the kitchen.

"What the hell dude?" she hissed. "We're supposed to be creating a low-stress environment."

"A little mess never killed anyone," he said defensively.

"Umm, I think you'll find it did," she drawled. "For instance, I could slip on the puddle and crack open my skull on the marble bench-top."

"What even is that puddle anyway?" Georgie asked cheekily. "Looks like pee."

"You girls are crazy! I'm trying okay?"

"Well try harder mate," Charlotte sniffed, and Jaycob scrunched his face at her when she turned her back to him. "Nice bath honey?"

"Delicious," Georgie sighed with a mushy smile. "Thank you."

Charlotte was all softness as she regarded her friend. "You're welcome." 

"Where've you been anyway?"

"Getting supplies," Charly winked conspiratorially.

"For...?" Jaycob looked suspicious.

"Okay, so my plan is to have dinner, open a bottle of red, and have a movie-night-sleepover! I got butter popcorn and chips and snakes and everything," she turned to Jaycob. "Now usually it's just a party of two – so consider yourself lucky that you're included at all, mister." Her haughty glare was back in full force. "Now clean that mess up." But Jay leveled her with an impassive stare of his own until she blushed pink and amended her statement. "Please," she added. He grunted and turned back to the disaster in the kitchen. "Coming Georgie? May as well get changed into PJs."

"In a minute. You go ahead," Georgie lips quirked upwards despite herself as she watched Charly disappear down the hall. 

"She really doesn't like me," Jay muttered, watching the empty corridor. "I thought... well, she doesn't."

Georgie narrowed her eyes. No – that wasn't possible. She looked at him again, and a grin spread across her face at the look on Jaycob's. He didn't look like he wanted to talk about it though, so she let it lie for the moment. Instead she patted him on the arm and confided in a low voice, "Don't take her too seriously. She's on a man-rage at the moment – and she still adjusting to you being around."

"Well it's getting old," he grumbled at her. "What? Why are you smiling at me? Don't laugh Gee – you two are a handful."

Now she openly laughed. "Such a cutie," she teased.

"Okay enough patronising for today – go put some clothes on, and I'll sort dinner."

"... is that wise?"