Chapter 14

First things first, I apologise for the massive delay. I have been very unwell, and writing was definitely not achievable with my health. I have been working hard to get a back log of chapters though, so hopefully updates will be frequent from now.

Happy 2016!

-----

RECAP

After a few misunderstandings, some attempted dirty talk and a bunch of bad puns, Lincoln and Georgiana finally made it to the sack. (Bravo!) But Lincoln is compromised by his doubt and Georgiana is still denial - so the outlook is wobbly at best. 

We begin the morning after...

-----                  

Lincoln woke wearing an uncontainable grin. Georgiana was wrapped around him like a tomato plant – their legs were entwined, her arm looped lazily across his torso and her hair splayed out across his chest in a fantastically messy tangle of curls. He felt a vicious kick of pleasure to know it was him who tangled it.

She let out a small snuffle and he looked down at her. It was almost disconcerting how small she felt curled into his body- warm and curvy and small. And quiet. She was so still. It was hard to reconcile this Georgie with the Georgiana who owned the room when she walked in the door. She had so much energy and passion and drive – and a fair whack of temper that was usually directed at Lincoln. But when you took all that fire out...his arm tightened around her, drawing her closer to his chest.

He wanted this to work so badly. But the certainty he'd felt upon waking was slowly fading.

At first he was convinced that things would change after last night. How could she possibly not feel what he felt? The whole night was completely out of the realms of what he knew...he had no point of reference for any of it. The way they clung to each other, holding on with their entire bodies fused together. Her lips breathing him in. His lips covering her in kiss after kiss. How could she possibly have experienced what he did last night and not want to marry him tomorrow?

But he had to put a lid on it - because that line of thought will definitely send her running.

The more he mulled it over, the sicker he felt. Imagining her waking up in his arms and slowly coming to awareness; becoming skittish and then pulling away from him... it was unbearable.

He knew he had to get out of there.

Lincoln turned his head and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. His eyes closed. He sighed.

Time to go.

He eased his arm from under her naked body and slid out of the bed.

Feeling like a scumbag and a coward, he scribbled her a quick note and left.

. * . * . * .  

It had been two days. Two whole days, and he hadn't heard a peep from Georgiana.

He'd been flipping between paralyzing doubt and anger - at himself - wondering if he'd made the right decision. Because what if he moved too quickly? Should he have spent some more time with her beforehand? You know, pants-on time? Solidify the friendship and all that. Or maybe he should have waited until she woke before he hightailed it out of there. 

The hurricane in his mind was just getting worse and worse - and he was exhausting himself trying to problem-solve this. Was he supposed to message her, or wait? Because what if she didn't call him?

He whipped his phone out and called Thomas.

Tom picked up second ring. "Dude, get me out of here," he hissed down the line. "Mum won't let me out of the house and I'm going out of my mind!"